Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

icantwi
Frequent Visitor

Burndown Chart for Milestones Tracking

Hi,

I'm hoping someone on here can help I am attempting to create a burndown chart similar to the attached screen shot within Power BI in order to track baselined finish dates against current finish dates. I have worked out that i will need to create a column within my milestones table that calculates the number of days between the finish date in a row and the latest finish date in the table which will then produce values that decrease the closer you get to the final finish dates. The problem is that i have no idea how to do this and i'm hoping someone here can give me a helping hand with the formula. I tried to use the DATEDIFF function to no avail. 

Thanks

Ian

task burndown.JPGmilestone data.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

I have worked out that i will need to create a column within my milestones table that calculates the number of days between the finish date in a row and the latest finish date in the table which will then produce values that decrease the closer you get to the final finish dates. The problem is that i have no idea how to do this and i'm hoping someone here can give me a helping hand with the formula.

@icantwi,

Create the following columns in your table and check if you get desired result.

LatestDateInTable = MAX(Table1[Finish])
Number Of Days = DATEDIFF(Table1[Finish],Table1[LatestDateInTable],DAY)
1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for this @v-yuezhe-msft, i am finding though that when i create the line chart from the data it's not quite working as expected. it comes up with the below.

chart 1.JPGvisualisation view.JPG

Sorry, a little further narrative is that it seems to sum the items that have the same month/date

Hi @icantwi,

Create a new column using the following DAX, then create a line chart as shown in the following screenshot.
FinishDate = FORMAT(Table1[Finish],"DD/MM/YY")

1.PNG

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi ,

Unfortunately that's not quite what I was looking for. Then line shouldn't rise and fall so it should start with everything at the start and then as items complete the values should reduce until 0. Just like the first example i showed.

Kind Regards

Ian

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.