Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

pratafran
Helper III
Helper III

Build a visual showing evolution of a parameter based on two databases with different periods oftime

Hi!, I think it is a very simple question but I guess if there is a simpler approach to sort this out than the one I'm thinking in.

I have two databases in my Power Bi model.

1 - A plain database with sales information from period 2010-2018 (local excel file with historical information that is not being updated anymore)

2- A sharepoint database with the information from 2019-on (this is live and is currently being updated and automatically refreshed on the Power Bi model)

And one dictionary:

1 - Calendar, automatically generated with days from Jan 1st 2010 to the last day that it find in the database 2.

Most of the visuals I have in my model are linked to the 2nd database to show current KPIs but I want to add one visual showing the evolution of sales by month from 2010 to now.

I have both databases linked by a dictionary with dates (DIC_DATES) so I know I have to put the DIC_DATES (Date) in the X axis but how can I do to put the sales for the whole period on the Y axis?

The only approach I can imagine is to do a query to append both databases in a new one that shows all the information 2010-today and then do the visual from there but I want to avoid generating a new huge database.

Is there a simpler approach?

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@pratafran you can append the tables in power query and that is the best approach and best practice. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@pratafran you can append the tables in power query and that is the best approach and best practice. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@parry2k thanks for your answer. That was what I was thinking but with that approach I would be duplicating a lot of information.

So, it is not possible to add the volumes of both databases to the same visual to show them as a continuos line?

@pratafran not sure if appending will make it duplicte information. You just not load other two tables in model, just load the one whihc is combined, so I don't see there will be anything duplicated.

I finally achieved the objective by appending the two tables. It is adding more refresh time to do this task but at least it worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.