Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Carmichael
Resolver I
Resolver I

Best method to accept data from end user

Hi - simple scenario. I need the user to be able to enter a number in as a parameter for site size. This could be any whole number but let's say it's between the range of 1 to 1,000,000 sqft.

What I have Tried: of course I tried using the what-if parameter first but I this has limitations. I generated the series by increments for it by 1 but when this is used as an on page filter only 1000 values are sampled hence the end user can enter the number tey need to (example - the end user tries to enter 37,654 into the numerical input field which gets rounded to 38,956).  

I am now using Power Apps embedded to accomplish the above. It does allow for the user to enter any value but it is way more involved then I really need it to be. 

Does any one have any ideas on best practice to allow for user to input a single value?  Is the power App path the Best Bet or is there any some other alternatives that I should be researching?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

If you generate a table with this dax

Table = GENERATESERIES(1,1000000,1)

You can add that field to a slicer, set the slicer to be 'Greater than or equal to'.  This will give you a single field where the user can input thier number.  You can read that selection with a measure like this.

Selection = MIN ('Table'[Value] )

jdbuchanan71_0-1617242585346.png

I have attached my sample file for you to look at.  Does that accomplish what you were looking for?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

If you generate a table with this dax

Table = GENERATESERIES(1,1000000,1)

You can add that field to a slicer, set the slicer to be 'Greater than or equal to'.  This will give you a single field where the user can input thier number.  You can read that selection with a measure like this.

Selection = MIN ('Table'[Value] )

jdbuchanan71_0-1617242585346.png

I have attached my sample file for you to look at.  Does that accomplish what you were looking for?

@jdbuchanan71  - I dont undersand how this works now.  This is exactly what I did previously but the number inputs were jumping around as well due to 'what I thought' was sampling of the data. 

But it works and is exactly what I need... so thank you!

EDIT: I do now see what I was doing.  I was selecting single value which still does round to a sampled value.  This is an awesome little work around.  I really hope others that have the same problem find this post!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.