Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Carmichael
Resolver I
Resolver I

Best method to accept data from end user

Hi - simple scenario. I need the user to be able to enter a number in as a parameter for site size. This could be any whole number but let's say it's between the range of 1 to 1,000,000 sqft.

What I have Tried: of course I tried using the what-if parameter first but I this has limitations. I generated the series by increments for it by 1 but when this is used as an on page filter only 1000 values are sampled hence the end user can enter the number tey need to (example - the end user tries to enter 37,654 into the numerical input field which gets rounded to 38,956).  

I am now using Power Apps embedded to accomplish the above. It does allow for the user to enter any value but it is way more involved then I really need it to be. 

Does any one have any ideas on best practice to allow for user to input a single value?  Is the power App path the Best Bet or is there any some other alternatives that I should be researching?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

If you generate a table with this dax

Table = GENERATESERIES(1,1000000,1)

You can add that field to a slicer, set the slicer to be 'Greater than or equal to'.  This will give you a single field where the user can input thier number.  You can read that selection with a measure like this.

Selection = MIN ('Table'[Value] )

jdbuchanan71_0-1617242585346.png

I have attached my sample file for you to look at.  Does that accomplish what you were looking for?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

If you generate a table with this dax

Table = GENERATESERIES(1,1000000,1)

You can add that field to a slicer, set the slicer to be 'Greater than or equal to'.  This will give you a single field where the user can input thier number.  You can read that selection with a measure like this.

Selection = MIN ('Table'[Value] )

jdbuchanan71_0-1617242585346.png

I have attached my sample file for you to look at.  Does that accomplish what you were looking for?

@jdbuchanan71  - I dont undersand how this works now.  This is exactly what I did previously but the number inputs were jumping around as well due to 'what I thought' was sampling of the data. 

But it works and is exactly what I need... so thank you!

EDIT: I do now see what I was doing.  I was selecting single value which still does round to a sampled value.  This is an awesome little work around.  I really hope others that have the same problem find this post!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.