Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lucas182
Regular Visitor

Basic question about my first report with Power BI

Hello.

I'm trying to start with Power BI, trying to make a basic report (my database is in Excel) where I have the first column with my list of customers, and the others are the months, something like this:

Database 

I want to make a report like this:

My_Report

Link to the full size image 

The problem I found is: I can't make that slicer with the months, because my months are the headers of each column. To make that on the image, I had to make another table on Excel with a list of the months, but it just show the months, it's not working because there's no relationship between tables.

My question is: can I make this report without changing my data? Because I'm using the data from an Excel sheet that I can't change. How can I make Power BI understand that the header with the months is a data that I want to use on my report?

Thanks for all the help, and sorry for any English mistakes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think I wasn't clear.

My database is linked with formula, bringing data from another Excel. 

Then, I used Power Query on Excel to transform the database, so I get a new database but without formulas.

That's the data that I'll send to Power BI. So when I refresh Power BI, nothing will happen, because my data after Power Query is made with fixed values.

Thanks again for your help!

Edit: I tried to put the new data on Power Bi, it worked, but not the way I wanted. Now the slicers of Customers and Months are working, but my graphic shows only one bar with the sum os months. Can I show the data one bar per month?

Edit2: Just did it. On the graphic, I put my "Months" field on "Axis" and it worked!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sokg
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Try to unpivot in Power Query.

Man, I think that's exact what I need. My data now is in three columns, Customer, Month and Values.

Thank you so much!

Just one more thing: My original data is linked with formulas, and when I used Power Query, my result is only fixed values. Is there any way I can make this result change automaticcaly? Maybe I could use VBA to make a button where I press it and it triggers Power Query. Is there the best option?

Thank you again.

sokg
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

No but when you refresh in your .pbix file you will always get the latest data.

Glad to help you!!!

I think I wasn't clear.

My database is linked with formula, bringing data from another Excel. 

Then, I used Power Query on Excel to transform the database, so I get a new database but without formulas.

That's the data that I'll send to Power BI. So when I refresh Power BI, nothing will happen, because my data after Power Query is made with fixed values.

Thanks again for your help!

Edit: I tried to put the new data on Power Bi, it worked, but not the way I wanted. Now the slicers of Customers and Months are working, but my graphic shows only one bar with the sum os months. Can I show the data one bar per month?

Edit2: Just did it. On the graphic, I put my "Months" field on "Axis" and it worked!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.