Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

taylororiger
Helper II
Helper II

Background Color manually

I am trying to assign a backgroud color to certain rows in my table.  However, the background color relies on 2 different criteria instead of 1, so I don't think I am able to achieve this in the conditional formatting route.  Is there a way to manually select rows to have a background color?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey, man  @taylororiger 
I did test it again, I tried to recreate something that you have and used the exact same formula:

Measure = SWITCH(TRUE(),
ISBLANK(MAX('PE Relationship Detail'[Engagement Quality Reviewer Name]))&&MAX('PE Relationship Detail'[PE total fees])>500000,"yellow")

vojtechsima_0-1646773618211.png
Applied to all columns and it works, the only thing that can be wrong is that make sure your blanks are actually blank, notice that in Power Query, blanks are "null". This won't appear in the Visual layer, however, make sure you can see it like that in power query:

vojtechsima_1-1646773718812.png

vojtechsima_3-1646773750945.png

You can replace it like this:

vojtechsima_4-1646773782307.png

if you don't want to test and debug anything, you can add something like to your formula that checks either blank or empty string:

Measure = SWITCH(TRUE(),
(ISBLANK(MAX('PE Relationship Detail'[Engagement Quality Reviewer Name])) || MAX('PE Relationship Detail'[Engagement Quality Reviewer Name])="")&&MAX('PE Relationship Detail'[PE total fees])>500000,"yellow")

This should work even when you don't have your blank rows actually blank. 
So try this new formula first and lemme know.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Hey, man  @taylororiger 
I did test it again, I tried to recreate something that you have and used the exact same formula:

Measure = SWITCH(TRUE(),
ISBLANK(MAX('PE Relationship Detail'[Engagement Quality Reviewer Name]))&&MAX('PE Relationship Detail'[PE total fees])>500000,"yellow")

vojtechsima_0-1646773618211.png
Applied to all columns and it works, the only thing that can be wrong is that make sure your blanks are actually blank, notice that in Power Query, blanks are "null". This won't appear in the Visual layer, however, make sure you can see it like that in power query:

vojtechsima_1-1646773718812.png

vojtechsima_3-1646773750945.png

You can replace it like this:

vojtechsima_4-1646773782307.png

if you don't want to test and debug anything, you can add something like to your formula that checks either blank or empty string:

Measure = SWITCH(TRUE(),
(ISBLANK(MAX('PE Relationship Detail'[Engagement Quality Reviewer Name])) || MAX('PE Relationship Detail'[Engagement Quality Reviewer Name])="")&&MAX('PE Relationship Detail'[PE total fees])>500000,"yellow")

This should work even when you don't have your blank rows actually blank. 
So try this new formula first and lemme know.

That was the issue!!! Thank you!

@taylororiger 
Oh boi,
I am glad it is finally working, if you could kudo my answer and accept it as the solution I would really appreciate that.
Thanks

Hi!  I am trying to d a similar measure, however, I am not able to apply the measure to conitional formatting?

taylororiger_0-1649168083356.png

Any thoughts?

Thank you!  I do know how to apply conditional formatting and I have it applied across all of the columns.  I think the issue is the measure isn't reading correctly, and I am not sure how to write that or adjust it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.