Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

drrai66
Resolver I
Resolver I

Background Color Change based upon Value

Hello Experts

How can I Change the Background Color in the following MATRIX . I want the color to be GREEN for all "Compliant" and RED for "Not Applicable. Help Please.

Thanks

Deepak

Color.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, conditional formatting does not work on text columns/measures, only numeric.

One way that you might be able to achieve this would be to create a measure that returns 1 if "Compliant" and 0 if "Not Applicable". Create a matrix visualization setup the exact same way as your other matrix visualization except use this new measure as a replacement for your other matrix/column. Now, make the Value text size as small as possible. Place this matrix exactly behind your original matrix. Make sure that your original matrix has transparency set to something other than 0%.

Hacky, but that's the best thing I can think of.

When you are all done, go vote for this Idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/32184037-conditional-formatting-f...

I just did.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Esabee
Frequent Visitor

I may have misunderstood, or maybe Power BI has been udpated to allow conditional formatting of matrix cell background colour based on text values, but I have had success with creating a simple measure based on a single text value (A-D). I thought this

might be worth capturing here

BGColourText.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, conditional formatting does not work on text columns/measures, only numeric.

One way that you might be able to achieve this would be to create a measure that returns 1 if "Compliant" and 0 if "Not Applicable". Create a matrix visualization setup the exact same way as your other matrix visualization except use this new measure as a replacement for your other matrix/column. Now, make the Value text size as small as possible. Place this matrix exactly behind your original matrix. Make sure that your original matrix has transparency set to something other than 0%.

Hacky, but that's the best thing I can think of.

When you are all done, go vote for this Idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/32184037-conditional-formatting-f...

I just did.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

It Worked Perfectly!!!

Thanks

Deepak

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.