Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

allison_t
Frequent Visitor

Azure Maps GeoJSON Reference Layer Stopped Working

Hello! I have an azure maps visual that uses a GeoJSON file as a reference layer. The reference layer is just a polygon outline of a square/rectangle. No changes have been made to the GeoJSON file, but all of a sudden I am now getting this error:

allison_t_0-1708710347265.png

I've validated that my file is valid using this site: https://geojsonlint.com/

Here is an example of the file:

{"type":"FeatureCollection"
,"features":[
{"type":"Feature"
,"geometry":{"type":"MultiPolygon","coordinates":[[[[-160.0,37.0],[-162.0,37.0],[-162.0,36.0],[-160.0,36.0],[-160.0,37.0]]]]},
"properties":{"fillColor":"#FF8A8A", "strokeColor":"#FF8A8A","strokeWidth": "1"}
}
]
}

Any suggestions for how to get this layer working again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
allison_t
Frequent Visitor

This looks to be a bug in the February 2024 release. Downgraded to December release and it works in Desktop again. The Service still does not work, but we are not going to downgrade the entire service for this. Should be resolved in March release according to Microsoft support.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ashamsuzzoha
Helper III
Helper III

I'm having this same error. My geojson file loads fine, but no reference layer is rendering.

Hi @ashamsuzzoha,

I eventually was able to get mine working again by saving the exact same file as .json instead of .geojson

Strange it doesn't take a .geojson file anymore. You think it's temporary?

I'm honestly not sure. Prior to changing the file type, I had downgraded to the December 2023 release and when I did that, the .geojson file worked fine. This week, I was informed by their support team that a new version had come out with a fix, so I downloaded the latest version per their instructions. With the latest version, the .geojson stopped working again. After that, the support rep had my try changing the file type, and that resolved it. The file now works in both desktop and on the service.

I suppose if it breaks again, the first thing I will try will be reverting back to a .geojson file.

allison_t
Frequent Visitor

This looks to be a bug in the February 2024 release. Downgraded to December release and it works in Desktop again. The Service still does not work, but we are not going to downgrade the entire service for this. Should be resolved in March release according to Microsoft support.

v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @allison_t 

Check for compatibility issues, given the recent update, it's worth checking the existing GeoJSON file for any known compatibility issues.

Get started with Azure Maps Power BI visual - Microsoft Azure Maps | Microsoft Learn

Or re-upload the GeoJSON file, and as a simple troubleshooting step, try deleting the current reference layer and re-uploading the GeoJSON file to the Azure Maps visual in Power BI.

Make sure that the GeoJSON file contains valid coordinates and attributes. You can try the following code:

{
  "type": "FeatureCollection",
  "features": [
    {
      "type": "Feature",
      "geometry": {
        "type": "Polygon",
        "coordinates": [
          [
            [-160.0, 37.0],
            [-162.0, 37.0],
            [-162.0, 36.0],
            [-160.0, 36.0],
            [-160.0, 37.0]
          ]
        ]
      },
      "properties": {
        "fillColor": "#FF8A8A",
        "strokeColor": "#FF8A8A",
        "strokeWidth": 1
      }
    }
  ]
}

You can check out related posts:

Solved: Polygon Reference Layer in Azure Map - Microsoft Fabric Community

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yohua-msft 

I have tried the following things:

- deleting and re-uploading the reference layer

- uploading a reference layer file with your exact code above

- creating a new .pbix file entirely and uploading the above code as a reference layer

And with all of these options, I get the same error message. 

What compatibility issues could there be with a GeoJSON file? I looked through the linked documentation and didn't see anything about compatible or incompatible files. 

allison_t
Frequent Visitor

After some digging, it looks like the February 2024 release included "Enhanced Reference Layer in Power BI Azure Maps Visual" - I don't see anything that indicates existing functionality would change, so I would expect the file to still work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.