Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

dorieldoriel
Regular Visitor

Automatic refresh/scheduled refresh

Hi, friends.

I am struggling with the refresh functionality. I use Power BI desktop, which loads data from the SQL. I cannot create "Direct query" (probably because of LEFT JOIN or some other command), I asked Chat GPT, searched on the internet, but I cant see the options that they recommend..

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-scheduled-refresh

I cant see any "semantic model" or "Schedule refresh" button. What I am doing wrong? The How-To does not work for me or I have the report created in unsupported way.

My goal is to have this report open on the production floor on a big screen in our company and display data from SQL with approx 15 minute refresh.

The query is

SELECT MES_MachinePerformance.*,
MES_Tablets.TabletName
FROM MES_MachinePerformance WITH (NOLOCK)
LEFT JOIN [PLATFORM].[dbo].[MES_Tablets] WITH (NOLOCK) ON [PLATFORM].[dbo].[MES_MachinePerformance].PrimaryMachineID =[PLATFORM].[dbo].[MES_Tablets].[PrimaryMachineID] WHERE MES_MachinePerformance.PerfTimeStamp > (GETDATE() - 7)

What am I doing wrong here? What is it I do not understand?

THX4help !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @dorieldoriel 

I found something that may be relevant to your question, please check the link below:

Solved: Using SQL statement Source in DirectQuery causes "... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dorieldoriel 

In Power BI Desktop, there is no scheduled refresh feature like in Power BI Services. However, automatic page refreshes for reports can be achieved using the DirectQuery connection.

To set up automatic page refresh in Power BI Desktop, make sure you use a DirectQuery connection to the SQL database. Please try the following steps:

Connection to databases (direct query or live connection)

vnuocmsft_0-1716254327143.png

Find the Page Refresh section at the bottom of the pane.

vnuocmsft_1-1716254378286.png

Automatic page refresh in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

To set up a scheduled refresh, you need to publish the report to the Power BI service.

Once published, you can configure a scheduled refresh for the dataset. If the SQL database is local, this involves setting up a gateway.

Guidance for deploying a data gateway for the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Also the workspace you mentioned was created on power bi service.

Create a workspace in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you very much. But why is my SQL query not accepted as a DirectQuery? I dont know what is allowed to be the "DirectQuery". Its only SELECT and JOIN, or how basic my query must be to be a DirectQuery?

Hi @dorieldoriel 

I found something that may be relevant to your question, please check the link below:

Solved: Using SQL statement Source in DirectQuery causes "... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Regards,

Nono Chen

Thank you, this is what I was looking for. Excuse my amateurism 😄 still learning.

Thank you for your swift responses, I really appreciate.

dorieldoriel
Regular Visitor

The report is a PBIX file. It contains everything for the report. I found some videos - they go to some "workspace settings" but I dont know how they get there.. I do not have any workpace available in my Power BI. I just created a report. Its not on cloud, its on a local area network... please help 😞

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWIfGWaUCdU

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.