Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

wnicholl
Resolver II
Resolver II

Auto recovery contains some recovered files that haven't been opened

Could use some assitance with an issue I'm experencing with PBI desktop.  My current version is Power BI Version 2.119.986.0 64BIT July.  I have a report that I cannot save upon any changes, plus the "Working on it" doesn't seem to respond.  At the top of the report is says "Auto recovery contains some recovered files that haven't been opened", so I beleive the report is corrupt. 

I can go into the folder that contains to see the few versions of the recovered reports/files. I'm not sure how to appraoch this issue. Shoud I delete the recovered pbix. files or download a newer version to have it overwrite the older version. Its a rather large model with multiple sources and dax formaulas and I'm trying to save with out redoing the report.

If anyone has some insights to help I'd appriciate it. Please let me know if you need any additional information that may help. Thank you in advance.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @wnicholl ,

Here are the steps you can take to address this issue:

1.Do Not Delete Recovered Files Yet.

2.Attempt to Open Recovered Files: Try to open the recovered files one by one to see if any of them can be opened without issues. Make sure to save any recovered file that opens successfully under a new name.

3.Install the Latest Version of Power BI Desktop. You can download the latest version from the official: Downloads | Microsoft Power BI

4.Recover Unsaved Work: If you had unsaved work, there might be a temporary file that has been created. You can search for files with a extension in the Power BI working directories and try to rename them to to see if they can be opened ..tmp.pbix.

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
wnicholl
Resolver II
Resolver II

Unfortionatly, I wasn't able to open the recovered files. They presented with a white screen and a message "Not Responding".  I'll download a newer version to see if that helps.  

v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @wnicholl ,

Here are the steps you can take to address this issue:

1.Do Not Delete Recovered Files Yet.

2.Attempt to Open Recovered Files: Try to open the recovered files one by one to see if any of them can be opened without issues. Make sure to save any recovered file that opens successfully under a new name.

3.Install the Latest Version of Power BI Desktop. You can download the latest version from the official: Downloads | Microsoft Power BI

4.Recover Unsaved Work: If you had unsaved work, there might be a temporary file that has been created. You can search for files with a extension in the Power BI working directories and try to rename them to to see if they can be opened ..tmp.pbix.

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

I was able to correct the issue by deleting the recovery files. I tested this on a test file then removed the recovery file for that instance. I was able to open and save the file with no issues. So I removed the others and I was able to produce that same result.

@v-tangjie-msft 

I appricate you getting back to me. I'll get back to you shortly! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.