Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Asking for a Server Name.. Help Clarify Please

Hey guys - I've noticed that when I ask clients for their server name, they'd just give me the name with a backslash and other text. There's rarely a ".com" at the end. Whenever I do the have ".com" of the server name, I'm able to connect to the SQL Server..

When it's just as is, just the server name.. I cannot connect? How do I find the full "URL" so to speak of the Server for me to connect to. I've gone as far as trying to use CMD prompt "ipconfig" and still can't find the full URL. Please let me know.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pborah
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

SQL servers don't generally have a ".com" unless I'm horribly wrong.  There's either an ip address with server credentials or just the name of the server if you're in an internal network and are already signed in to Power BI with your organizational account. Are you choosing "SQL Server database" under "Get Data"?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
pborah
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

SQL servers don't generally have a ".com" unless I'm horribly wrong.  There's either an ip address with server credentials or just the name of the server if you're in an internal network and are already signed in to Power BI with your organizational account. Are you choosing "SQL Server database" under "Get Data"?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm.. that's odd. Yes I am using the Get Data to SQL server on PBI desktop. The IT Admin gave me the username and password to the database (credntials).. its says it's not able to connect. 

pborah
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Can you post a screenshot of the connection you are trying to make?

Anonymous
Not applicable

rzavgazaryan_0-1635522388944.png

This is where I'm trying to establish a connecting. I was given a Server name that was just a couple of stringers and numbers.

pborah
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

No I meant can you post a screenshot with servername, error, etc. when you're trying to connect? Do you know if the SQL server is sitting behind a VPN? Do you need to be logged in to the organization's VPN to be able to connect? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.