Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Architecture to pull in Sharepoint lists into power BI

Just wanted to get a bit of advice.

My new projects data source is Sharepoint lists. There are a lot of them in OLTP format. 

Im looking at architecture to support this and I dont believe Sharepoint list to power BI Is the best option because I want to model the data from the OLTP structure as a star schema.

it will need some heavy duty transformations. i think outside of Power BI because Ive used Power Query Editor in the past and it can't cope with that level of work.

I dont know what I have to use yet. Azure, Synape, Fabric etc but what would you recommend as the approach?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @DebbieE ,

You could also try to use Azure Data Factory or Azure Synapse:

1. Azure Data Factory (ADF) for Data Integration:
Azure Data Factory is a cloud-based data integration service that allows you to create data-driven workflows for orchestrating and automating data movement and data transformation. ADF can be used to ingest data from SharePoint lists and perform the necessary transformations before loading it into a data warehouse. This approach provides the flexibility and power needed for heavy-duty transformations outside of Power BI.

Action Plan:
Use ADF to create a pipeline that connects to your SharePoint lists as a source.
Perform transformations within ADF to model your data according to the star schema.
Load the transformed data into a data warehouse for further use in Power BI.

2. Azure Synapse Analytics for Data Warehousing and Analysis:
Azure Synapse is an analytics service that brings together big data and data warehousing. It offers the capability to perform big data analytics on data stored in data lakes, and it provides a robust and scalable platform for running heavy-duty transformations.

Action Plan:
Use Azure Synapse to ingest data from SharePoint lists.
Leverage Synapse's data transformation capabilities to model your data as a star schema.
Utilize the direct integration between Azure Synapse and Power BI to create your reports and dashboards.

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DebbieE ,

Please try to use Fabric, you could get and transform data by Data Factory or Data Engineering with Spark compute, then save the data to Lake House, finally you could visualize the data by Power BI with Direct Lake mode.

For more details, you could read related document: What is Microsoft Fabric - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

they dont have Fabric. Its not an option. 

Hi @DebbieE ,

You could also try to use Azure Data Factory or Azure Synapse:

1. Azure Data Factory (ADF) for Data Integration:
Azure Data Factory is a cloud-based data integration service that allows you to create data-driven workflows for orchestrating and automating data movement and data transformation. ADF can be used to ingest data from SharePoint lists and perform the necessary transformations before loading it into a data warehouse. This approach provides the flexibility and power needed for heavy-duty transformations outside of Power BI.

Action Plan:
Use ADF to create a pipeline that connects to your SharePoint lists as a source.
Perform transformations within ADF to model your data according to the star schema.
Load the transformed data into a data warehouse for further use in Power BI.

2. Azure Synapse Analytics for Data Warehousing and Analysis:
Azure Synapse is an analytics service that brings together big data and data warehousing. It offers the capability to perform big data analytics on data stored in data lakes, and it provides a robust and scalable platform for running heavy-duty transformations.

Action Plan:
Use Azure Synapse to ingest data from SharePoint lists.
Leverage Synapse's data transformation capabilities to model your data as a star schema.
Utilize the direct integration between Azure Synapse and Power BI to create your reports and dashboards.

Best regards,

No azure Data factory or Azure Synapse either and yes I agree with both of these

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.