cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DuncanP Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: ArcGIS Maps for Power BI (Preview) Discussion

Hi @scottball, thanks for looking into this. You're really going to get fed up with me though, as I've now started to notice geographical postcode districts that are incorrectly mapped as well.

so,

TS13 is mapped to BS13

TS15 is mapped to BS15

DN55 is mapped to DE55

DN21 is mapped to BN21

SY13 is mapped to DY13

OX17 is mapped to EX17

SE3 is mapped to SS3

SE9 is mapped to SS9

All the IM districts are mapped to CM districts

There are also some minor issues with some of the shape data, for example:

A part of NR21 has split off and ended up inside PE31

There is also a small gap between NW1 and N1

PO22 has been split by BN18

Part of BS22 is inside BS24

Part of NE30 is in NE29

There are quite a few more of the bisected districts, which is understandable given the weird shapes some of them have, so this is probably nit-picking really.

I'm really enjoying using this though, and I'm very impressed by the speed of it, so thank you.

Best,

Duncan

scottball Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hey @DuncanP - 

No worries. I think it's all related (regarding the mismatches). Our underlying service used to give error codes for unmatched addresses, which client applications could filter out or handle differently at their discretion. Now the backend service attempts to find a match no matter what - resulting in some undesireable matches. We're working with the team responsible for this behavior to get it modified, and then we'll update our code in turn. It won't get fixed overnight, but rest assured we're working on it.

Regarding the bisected districts and weird shapes you might be seeing - in order to keep the speed high, we are 'generalizing' the shapes - that's to say, we're making the shapes a lot simpler than they really are in order to transmit them across the wires quickly. It's a balancing act - we want them to be simple enough that they are fast, but we don't want them so simple that they lose the ability to represent the thing they're supposed to represent. Please let me know if it's erring too much towards the latter and we can take a look at tweaking it a bit. 

I'm really happy to hear that despite some hiccups you're enjoying the visual! 

DuncanP Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi @scottball

I totally understand the speed considerations: I've tried plugging actual boundaries into the shapemap visual and it's woefully slow.

I don't know whether it's possible to say that when part of a district ends up completely within another one, it could be subsumed entirely? For example, the NR21 district below:

ArcGIS_PostCodeDistrict3.PNG

Could the bit of the shape to the left be ignored entirely? In reality, it's a small bit that sticks out past RAF Scunthorpe:

NR21.PNG

If it were possible to remove the extra bit rather than raise the detail level to go around it, then the speed wouldn't be compromised.

On another subject, if we choose to represent locations as points rather than boundaries, it's no longer possible to use postcode areas or districts as locations. Is that something that might be implemented at some point, perhaps using the centre of the postcode area or district as the location?

And yes, I am enjoing the visual, it's just what I've been waiting for!

Best,

Duncan

Simon_Lou Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

This feature looks awesome, I've enjoyed using it and found it to be a very powerful visualisation. It being a preview feature is great and I can't wait for it to be a standard feature.

What I would like to know is, what data is shared with ESRI? Is it just your computer details, I want to be certain that the data that I am putting onto the visual is not being shared further?

Many thanks!

Highlighted
Power BI Team lukaszp
Power BI Team

When you bind data to ArcGIS Maps for Power BI, any data you bind to it is handled by code written by Esri. So you should assume the data may be transmitted across the network to Esri's servers. Typically, data in the Location Field is sent to be geocoded (a network API call) so it's location on the map can be determined. Your client computer (where you browser or Power BI desktop is running) will make a network request directly to Esri's services which may store information like IP address as part of their normal diganostics/logging.

The data you bind to the visual is covered under the terms and privacy policy you agree to when start using the visuals. You can review them here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tutorial-arcgis/#user-consent

Sicilian Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi all,

This feature is really great. It does not seem to support drill down, however. For example, I can map to a US state, then click into to see zip code, etc. Does anyone know if there is a work around or if this will be added later?

Thanks!

dcresp Member

@scottball I apreciate your points about the legend but still thing that some sort of legend is essential so that people can understand what they are looking at with a quick glance. Additionally if the report is printed it still makes sense. Somthing similar to the native map legend would be great. At the moment I am using a native map visual hiden behind an ESRI map visual just to get the legend which is not a great way of having to do it.

DuncanP Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi again

We're starting to use this quite intensively now, and another minor request has come out of some initial sessions. When you zoom in to the map to focus on a particular area, if you then click a slicer elsewhere on the page to see a comparison (e.g. from year to year), it zooms out again to show the full map. Is there any way this behaviour could be overriden somehow, for those occasions when you want to stay focussed in?

Cheers,

Duncan

abedkhooli Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

How do we deal with location type for countries that are not listed at http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/geoenrichment-coverage.htm (GeoEnrichment coverage)? I want to visualize data for governorates (provinces) in Palestine. Since it is not listed, the location type tab can't be used.

Will creating a column with boundarfies (list of lat/long pairs) work? I am aware of the shape map option but would like to use the ArcGIS option.

dcresp Member

@lukaszp with this months PBI Desktop release the Esri mapping visual disapears and an error message comes up when PBI is opened and before any file is opened. I have had to re-install to get the Esri Visual back which at least for now is working. Is this issue know and will there be a new verssion thsi month to fix this?