Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

duffby2

Approach to complex scenario modelling/measures

I am looking for some guidance on how to go about modelling for the following type of scenario.

There are various restrictions on the source of revenue in the fact table.  These restrictions need to be assessed and assigned a pass or fail status.  Each of these restrictions cover a different combination of dimensions and so a single record can be assessed under many different restrictions. 

The desired outcome would be a single table containing one row for the assessment of each restriction, the values assessed and whether it passed or failed.

One solution I have considered is generating a table for each restriction and then appending these tables to form a consolidated view.  However, this would be onerous given that there are over 100 such restrictions to be assessed.

An example of the restrictions to be assessed:
1. No one supplier to have more than 10% of overall revenue
2. No one region to have more than 50% of revenue
3. No one product to have more than 5% of revenue for each region.

Desired output based on total revenue of 1,000 (not all rows are displayed to keep this sample brief) :

Restriction #ProductSupplierRegionRevenueLimitStatus
1*Supplier A*110100Fail
1*Supplier B*90100Pass
2**USA550500Fail
2**Europe450500Pass
3Product A*USA8050Fail
3Product B*USA4550Pass
3Product A*Europe5150Fail
3Product B*Europe5050Pass
2 REPLIES 2
v-kaiyue-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @duffby2 ,

1. Create a calculated column to get each supplier's percentage of total revenue.

Supplier Revenue % =
DIVIDE(
SUMX(FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Supplier] = EARLIER('Table'[Supplier]))), 'Table'[Revenue]),
)

2. Return pass or fail depending on the percentage.

Restriction 1 Status = IF('Table'[Supplier Revenue %] > 0.1, "Fail", "Pass")

3. Calculate each restriction in turn.

Region Revenue % =
DIVIDE(
SUMX(FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Region] = EARLIER('Table'[Region]))), 'Table'[Revenue]),
)

Restriction 2 Status = IF('Table'[Region Revenue %] > 0.5, "Fail", "Pass")

Product Revenue % =
DIVIDE(
SUMX(FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Product] = EARLIER('Table'[Product]) && 'Table'[Region] = EARLIER('Table'[Region]))), 'Table'[Revenue]),
)

Restriction 3 Status = IF('Table'[Product Revenue %] > 0.05, "Fail", "Pass")

4. Create the calculated column to get the final status.

Column =
IF('Table'[Restriction 1 Status] = "Pass" && 'Table'[Restriction 2 Status] = "Pass" && 'Table'[Restriction 3 Status] = "Pass", "Pass", "Fail")

5. I do not know what the table "*" means, so I will treat it as the same category to calculate, but the overall idea as described above, you can according to their own needs slightly modified.

vkaiyuemsft_0-1715236128583.png

If your Current Period does not refer to this, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Clara Gong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Clara,

Thank you very much for your reply.  This approach would certainly work but the only concern would be the number of calculated columns I would have to create as there are over 100 such restrictions to be calculated. 

I had hoped I would be able to maintain some form of parameter table that contains all the restrctions and then have measures use the values in this "parameter table" to perform the various calculations required on the restrictions.  Not sure that is possible though. 

The "*" means all for that particular attribute - so for the first record in my table, it means that all products/regions are considered for each supplier.  Sorry, I should have have made that clearer. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.