Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DK_Flemming

Application user Authentication to update data in Power BI

I want to connect to Dynamics 365 from Power Bi - and wondering if this can be done using application user Authentication?

Using Power BI desktop, I know I can use username + password for a user in Dynamics 365.

My question is if I can create a new Application user in our Active Directory, add same user in Dynamics 365 and then, somehow, use the application user to connect between Power BI and Dynamics 365?
(I want to use a non-licensed users if possible)

I have no idea if it could be done with PowerShell?

If we use PowerShell to add Pbix file direct to Power BI online - could PowerShell also update the connection to Dynamics 365?

Extra question: If PowerShell can update the Pbix file. Could it also update the source URL and then change/update login credentials? (This is if we want to use same Pbix file for different clients. Data model is the same but of course with different Dynamics 365 tenants.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DK_Flemming ,

You may learn how to connect to Dynamic 365 data from the article : How to Connect to Dynamics 365 Data from PowerBI Desktop.

A Power BI account has not been set up. In order to have a valid Power BI account, you must have a license, and you must have previously signed into Power BI, in order for your Power BI workspace to have been created.

You need a Power BI Pro license to share your content, and the people you share it with do too, or the content must be in a workspace in a Premium capacity. For more information, see Ways to share your work in Power BI. Not sure the Power Shell can achieve your demand.

For reference:

Enabling Your Business Data for Power BI

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DK_Flemming ,

You may learn how to connect to Dynamic 365 data from the article : How to Connect to Dynamics 365 Data from PowerBI Desktop.

A Power BI account has not been set up. In order to have a valid Power BI account, you must have a license, and you must have previously signed into Power BI, in order for your Power BI workspace to have been created.

You need a Power BI Pro license to share your content, and the people you share it with do too, or the content must be in a workspace in a Premium capacity. For more information, see Ways to share your work in Power BI. Not sure the Power Shell can achieve your demand.

For reference:

Enabling Your Business Data for Power BI

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.