Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ianallen13V2
Regular Visitor

Any ideas on how to "flatten" rows together in Power BI?

Hello, 

I'm looking to see if anyone has any insight into this issue.  

I have a table (below) and sadly the data is what we are getting from a vendor at this time, we are looking at options for clean up, but want to see if anyone knew of a way where I could 'Flatten" or Merge the rows together by position_title so that there is only one unique value, and then whatever value is in position_location, that gets filled, and same with Position_start_date, etc. 

So here is my example table: 

ianallen13V2_0-1690833200311.png

And what I WANT to see is (for example): 

ianallen13V2_1-1690833830139.png

So that it combines all values that tie into that position title.

I tried to do a Group By, but that didn't seem to work, so I'm open to any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

1. Group by position_title then  (using Advanced section) add aggregations for every column (MAX will probably work on each one)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

1. Group by position_title then  (using Advanced section) add aggregations for every column (MAX will probably work on each one)

Wow! That was easier than I thought. I just needed to reorder some columns and then I was missing the a
bolfri
Super User
Super User

Is there any possibility for you to share some sample data? Or just a file with dummy data to show you how to solve this problem?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

I added the data (only one individual) to an excel file, changed some names, etc. but this is basically what I am using in a nutshell.  How can I upload a file here?

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

You are on the right track with the Group By.  Where did it go wrong?

I'm not 100% sure how to get it to work right, I try...

1. Group by position_title, call new column name "ALL" and select operation as "ALL ROWS" 

2. Next - now I have a column called "ALL" with tables - but after that - I'm only allowed to expand, which is not what I want.

ianallen13V2_0-1690919839008.png

and some of the tables are really just duplicates, which I just want 'merged' into one record (see example):

ianallen13V2_1-1690920081024.png

So just looking for one line with one record with company name, position title, location (if available) and start / end dates all on the same line. 

AbhinavJoshi
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hello @ianallen13V2. You can achieve a similar result using unpivot columns. Please see the attached screenshot and let me know if it works for you. Thanks

AbhinavJoshi_0-1690838913169.png

Hello, 

Thank you for responding - but that is not what I need sadly.  I need one row for with all values like my example stated.  

So one row with combined job titles, job location, job dates, etc.

Like the example below: 

ianallen13V2_0-1690914168021.png

Any thoughts?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.