Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LucPoirier

Adding a Filter changes values in a visual that should stay the same

I'm a new Power BI User and I've got a lot to learn. 

Like many of the users posting here, I spent a lot of time with Excel, but Power BI is going to be much more effective for the amount of data I'm working with.

What I've tstarted using the platform for is tracking sales results and reporting it based on Store Number and Operator ID. I've been able to use "Filters on this Visual" for Product Number to trim Quantity (which is in a _Fact TransactionDetail table) value down to just the number of units sold by that user. I then created a Calculation to ignore that filter:

AllTrans = CALCULATE(COUNT('_Fact Transaction'[TransactionID]),ALL(Products))

This gives me enough information to math out a Conversion Rate:

ConversionRate = DIVIDE([AllTrans],SUM('_Fact TransactionDetail'[Quantity]))

All of this works splendidly, but when I try filter by a PromotionID (which is in a _Fact PromotionDiscount table), the number of Transactions changes dramatically and I can't figure out why.

_Fact Transaction links to both _Fact TransactionDetail and _Fact TransactionDiscount in a 1/* relationship, so I expected the filters to work the same.

LucPoirier_0-1624897498864.png

I think what's happening is the Promotion Filter is changing how the visual understands the table, but I'm not getting the why.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
LucPoirier

Adding info I didn't realize I'd missed above:

The reason I need to calculate by Promo is that we're tracking a few promotions that could consists of several different products and the Promo ID is the simplest way to track these sales.

Hi, @LucPoirier 

Not sure, this can be related to the relationship between your current tables, the filter direction, table fields used in the visual ...

If convenient, please share your sample file for further research.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.