Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

dharsanj
Helper II
Helper II

Ability to set Chart Title for a Line/Stacked Chart by a measure is now broken via Dec 2020 release

Hello,

Noticed something that is now caused by the Dec 2020 PowerBi release. Previously, one could set the title of a Line and Stacked Chart via a measure and get it to display. However, with the new release, the visual keeps spinning with a call to Direct Query which doesn't seem to end. 

If I convert this chart to a stacked bar chart (without the line), then the display appears instantaneously with no spinning around of the visual. 

The title I want to embed in the chart is via this measure definition:

Title =  CONCATENATE("Trended Value by Category", " ($M)" )

See snapshots below:

Line/Stacked Chart - this is the original visual with no titleLine/Stacked Chart - this is the original visual with no titleChart Title MeasureChart Title MeasureSetting up the Chart TitleSetting up the Chart TitleAfter inserting chart title, then visual spins no end. There is also a Direct Query callAfter inserting chart title, then visual spins no end. There is also a Direct Query callIf I convert to a stacked chart only (from Line/Stacked Chart), then the title shows up as it should.If I convert to a stacked chart only (from Line/Stacked Chart), then the title shows up as it should.

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you found a resolution to this? I having the same problem. We have a simple conditional formatting for title, and it does not work on the Line And Stacked Column Chart. It works on every other chart EXCEPT the one I need, which is Line And Stacked Column Chart. I've messed around with it, switching up and removing different fields with no solution. Just the loading wheel that keeps spinning. Not sure where to go from here, and hoping you were able to fix your issue.

same problem here (june 2022 version)

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@dharsanj I can reproduce it, very weird and I would recommend to report it as an issue on the support page.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

dharsanj
Helper II
Helper II

Here is the Power BI Desktop version I am using:

Version: 2.88.721.0 64-bit (December 2020)

dharsanj
Helper II
Helper II

Ok. I will try. The Total measure is defined as follows:

VAR OpMgn =
CALCULATE (
[WaterfallAmt (ABS)],
'TestWaterfallTbl'[PnL-Lvl 4] = "Operating Margin"
)
RETURN
IF (
ISFILTERED ( 'TestWaterfallTbl'[PnL-Lvl 3 (Stacked Chart)] )
|| ISFILTERED ( 'TestWaterfallTbl'[PnL-Lvl 4] )
|| ISFILTERED ( 'TestWaterfallTbl'[Alt PnL-Lvl 3] ),
[WaterfallAmt (ABS)],
OpMgn
)
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @dharsanj 

I can't reproduce this. Using your measure I get the title displayed fine.

If you strip back the chart to just some simple values, will the Title Measure display?  Perhaps your Total measure is causing some issue?

regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Ok. I have a very simple contrived example. Is there anyway I can attached the PowerBI file that I used? 

I just entered the following data table (named "Org"):

Data TableData Table

Then two measures:

SalesAmt = SUM(Org[Sales])
Title = "Sales by Group"

Then I added 4 chart variations:
Variation 1 - Line and Stacked Chart with Measure Title. Chart Measure only in Column Values.
This worksThis works
So this one works since I didn't put the [SalesAmt] Measure in the Line Values box. Title is driven by Measure.
Variation 2 - Line and Stacked Chart with No Measure Title. Chart Measure in both Column and Line Values:
Line and Stacked Chart - No Title, but SalesAmt in both Column Values and Line ValuesLine and Stacked Chart - No Title, but SalesAmt in both Column Values and Line Values
This one also works since I didn't put the Title measure in the chart. No title, but I get Stacked Chart and Line.
Variation 3 - Line and Stacked Chart with Measure Title, but Chart Measure only in the Line Values:
This one also worksThis one also works
In the absence of SalesAmt in Column values, this one also works with the Title measure in the chart. But I only get a Line in the visual since I didn't apply the [SalesAmt] in the Column values.
Variation 4 - Line and Stacked Chart with Measure Title [Title], with Chart Measure  [SalesAmt] in both Column and Line Values:
The previous problem now surfaces with the spinning visual, and display not appearing. See snapshots below:
Chart Display settingsChart Display settingsChart Title settingChart Title setting

I do not know why this is happening for the line and stacked chart where I want to set the Title based on a Measure. Any advise? The Performance Analyzer shows a Direct Query in addition to the DAX query. Why is this happening? 

dharsanj
Helper II
Helper II

This is a simpliflied chart title measure to illustrate the issue. The one I originally had was dynamic based on filtered table selections, which were fields in the CONCATENATE string (as part of a SELECTEDVALUE(....)) invocation. 

Even the simple one seems to be causing a issue which needs to be understood. 

Also want to point out:

If I remove the measure that went into the Line values box, then the display appears with the chart title (with the Stacked Line/Chart as the visual selected). The issue is that I can't place the same measure in the Line values section.

After removing measure in the Line Values.png

hdg
Frequent Visitor

Hi was wondering if you figured this out. I have the same issue when I put in the line/stacked bar chart it gives me a spinning title (my title is a derived measure), but when i remove the line chart, the title populates fine. If i keep the title static it also populates fine. It just continues spinning if I have the title as some defined measure

if you have this figured out, please let me know it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks so much!

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @dharsanj 

As your measure isn't doing anythign dynamic, why not just set the title directly in the Format area?

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.