Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

apboudr1
Frequent Visitor

help with building sequence of dates

I’m stuck and would sincerely appreciate some friendly expert help 🙂

What I’m trying to do is calculate a column of “startdates” using other columns “campassign”, “camporder”, “duration”, and “stopdate”.

“Campassign”, “camporder”, and “duration” have entered data. “Stopdate” is equal to “startdate” + “duration”. For the first item in each “campassign” (“camporder”=1), I use lookupvalue to pull the entered “startdate” for the matching “campname” from another table. When order does not equal 1, I want to pull the “stopdate” from the previous item in the order within the matching “campassign” and use it as the “startdate”. I’ve tried doing this with another lookupvalue in the else clause of an IF statement, but I run into a circular reference issue. Perhaps there is a filter I need to add, a different function altogether, switch to a measure instead of calculated column?

Activities1    
CampAssignDurationCampOrderStartDateStopDate
Alpha141STUCK! = Activities1[StartDate]+Activities1[Duration]
Alpha212  
Alpha143  
Alpha284  
Bravo621  
Bravo352  
Bravo623  
Bravo354  
Charlie501  
Charlie212  

Campaigns2    
CampNameStartDate   
Alpha1/1/2021   
Bravo4/1/2022   
Charlie6/1/2023   

What I have now:

StartDate = if(Activities1[CampOrder]=1,LOOKUPVALUE(Campaigns2[StartDate],Campaigns2[CampName],Activities1[CampAssign]),LOOKUPVALUE(Activities1[StopDate],Activities1[CampAssign],Activities1[CampAssign],Activities1[CampOrder],(Activities1[CampOrder]-1)))

I was able to do this in excel fairly easily using index and match:

=IF([@CampOrder]=1,INDEX(Campaigns2[StartDate],MATCH([@CampAssign],Campaigns2[CampName],0)),INDEX([StopDate],

MATCH(1,([@CampAssign]=[CampAssign])*(([@CampOrder]-1)=[CampOrder]),0)

))

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
apboudr1
Frequent Visitor

Nevermind, I figured this out myself.

My solution below in case another has this problem:

Approached from a different angle. Instead of trying to pull the StopDate of the prior CampOrder, I used a running sum of durations (by CampAssign in CampOrder) and added that to the campaign StartDate, which gave me a StopDate for each Activity. From StopDate I can subtract the individual duration of each activity to get the StartDate of the Activity.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
apboudr1
Frequent Visitor

Nevermind, I figured this out myself.

My solution below in case another has this problem:

Approached from a different angle. Instead of trying to pull the StopDate of the prior CampOrder, I used a running sum of durations (by CampAssign in CampOrder) and added that to the campaign StartDate, which gave me a StopDate for each Activity. From StopDate I can subtract the individual duration of each activity to get the StartDate of the Activity.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@apboudr1 , While I still not clear on all output you need -

The close date you should able to get as a new column in Activities1 like

maxx(filter(Campaigns2, Campaigns2[CampName] =Activities1[CampAssign]), Campaigns2[StartDate])+ Activities1[Duration]

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@apboudr1 , where is stop_date in data. I think that is part of the calculation?

Stopdate is in the table and calculated as startdate+duration which leads to the circular referencing issue when I try to pull prior order stopdate as startdate 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.