Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

afaro
Helper II
Helper II

Viewing the data as a hierarchy for data which has an internal hierarchy

I have data like this 

KeyTransaction IDParent Transaction ID
K132
K121
K110
K232
K221
K210

I want to identify the level 1 parent for all of these but as the transaction ID itself is not unique but it is unique per Key then how do I go about doing this? 

I want to use the PATH and PATHITEM variables for this? Also, how do I create a hierachy if the number of levels is unknown to me? 

1 REPLY 1
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @afaro

Step 1: Create a Unique Identifier

Given your description, you might concatenate the Key and Transaction ID,Parent Transaction ID to form a unique identifier for each transaction. For example, you can create a new column in Power Query or using DAX:

UniqueID = [Key] & [Transaction ID]
ParentUniqueID = [Key] & [Parent Transaction ID]

Step 2: Use PATH to Create Hierarchy

Once you have unique identifiers, use the PATH function to create a hierarchy path. The PATH function requires two parameters: the unique identifier of the current row and the unique identifier of the parent row.

HierarchyPath = PATH([UniqueID], [ParentUniqueID])

Step 3: Identify Level 1 Parent

To identify the level 1 parent, use the PATHITEM function. This function extracts an item from the path created by PATH, based on its position. Since you're interested in the level 1 parent, you would use:

Level1Parent = PATHITEM([HierarchyPath], 1) 

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.