Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Maghed
Frequent Visitor

Transpose table

Hi All,

Is it possible in Power BI "not via power query unpivot" to transform the below table to the other format

Table1

FirstNameLastNameQ1Q2
AABB13
CCDD57

to Table2

FirstNameLastNameQuarterValue
AABBQ11
CCDDQ23
AABBQ15
CCDDQ2

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Maghed yes doing with DAX using summarize not a bad option but why not use power query when it has in-built function to do the job. 

Doing wiht power query will have better compression and performance in vertipaq enqine but that all depends on how big is your dataset?

Anyhow I will leave that decision with you, you have both the choices. You can do performance test to figure out what works best.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Maghed I don;t think so, it is better to unpivot data in Power Query then you can use pivot or unpivot in desktop using matrix or table visual.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Thank you parry2k 

What about using summarize with VAR to create two tables with new additional columns "Quarter" and "Value"

Then using UNION to combine the 2 tables.

I managed to get this done and works perfect.

Not sure what will happen if the source table will get more data into it

@Maghed yes doing with DAX using summarize not a bad option but why not use power query when it has in-built function to do the job. 

Doing wiht power query will have better compression and performance in vertipaq enqine but that all depends on how big is your dataset?

Anyhow I will leave that decision with you, you have both the choices. You can do performance test to figure out what works best.

Thank you very much for detailed clarification

Franckly a colleague who is like me very new to Power BI  alreay started and built a lot with row data from Excel file..and will not be happy to start all over again by unpivoting data.

Thats why I figured out this dax approach as data set is very small

Reagrds,

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors