Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Pam
Frequent Visitor

Total Challenges on SUM of DISTINCT VALUES

I have two datasets that were pulled together (via append). I had to append instead of make a measure, etc to make other calculations work. 

• Dataset #1: contained all Lead group sales
  • Dataset #2: contained all Secondary group sales

Ex Dataset looks something like this: 

Pam_0-1694044834239.png

I have multiple Opportunity IDs but I'm trying to get the SUM of DISTINCT VALUES so used the calc below. It works as expected at the row level but goes wonky when it gets to the subtotal value. 

Total Sales_SUMx/DISTINCT =
SUMX (
    (DISTINCT('Sales'[Opportunity ID])) , MAX('Sales'[Total Sales Amount])
)

Using the sample dataset above, I would expect to see the Total of column 'Total Sales Amount' to read $1,950. In my actual dataset, I am expecting to see values of $3 Billlion; but am seeing values of $913 Trillion - it's off by a huge multiple. 

I'm no expert so have done I've read a ton of forums and articles and I suspect its doing some additional calculations 'under the covers' but I am having trouble figuring out how to get the total to work in the matrix table my users are requesting.
I have found articles with 'Total' fixes but none that reference the DISTINCT function. It also has to be slicable by additional filters like Client Name, etc so I'm running into challenges with functions like 'HASONEFILTER'. 

I'm out of ideas, any help is appreciated!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Pam ,

You can create a new measure to be placed on the visual object instead of the old measure.

NewMeasure = SUMX(VALUES('Sales'[Opportunity ID]),[Total Sales_SUMx/DISTINCT])

vtangjiemsft_0-1694137494607.png

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Pam
Frequent Visitor

@v-tangjie-msft 
Neeko Tang, 
That did it! Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Pam ,

You can create a new measure to be placed on the visual object instead of the old measure.

NewMeasure = SUMX(VALUES('Sales'[Opportunity ID]),[Total Sales_SUMx/DISTINCT])

vtangjiemsft_0-1694137494607.png

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors