Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report reflecting data like the Stock Market

How can my Power BI report reflect current YTD,QTD and MTD data without selecting a value from filter?

Think of what you see if you turn on your TV in the morning to look at CNBC... YOU SEE LIVE DATA!!!

I'm trying to replicate that with my report. 

So instead of Stock prices, my report would have YTD, QTD and MTD data WITHOUT SELECTING ANYTHING from my FILTER (Unselected) Just like stock data on your screen in the morning. Please Help. 

7 REPLIES 7
technolog
Super User
Super User

I hope this message finds you well. I've noticed that this solution remain unresolved. If any of you have managed to find a resolution to the issue, I kindly request that you share your solution for the benefit of the entire community. Alternatively, if you're still facing challenges, please do let us know as well.

Your insights and updates will greatly assist others who might be encountering the same challenge.

PenelopeEllison

One approach could involve using DAX calculations and measures to automatically calculate YTD, QTD, and MTD data based on the current date, eliminating the need for manual filter selection. This would allow your report to show the latest data as soon as it's opened, similar to the live stock updates on TV.

GaveModeva

It's awesome that you're aiming to bring the live and dynamic feel of stock market data to your Power BI report. While replicating that exact TV experience might be a bit tricky, there are certainly ways to make your report more interactive and engaging.

Caroburgh

I get what you're aiming for with your Power BI report. You want it to display real-time YTD, QTD, and MTD data without having to manually select anything from the filter. It's like having that dynamic stock market vibe when you turn on your TV and see live data on CNBC. To achieve that effect, you can leverage Power BI's capabilities. One option is to use a measure that calculates the YTD, QTD, and MTD values based on the current date. You can create DAX formulas that dynamically calculate these values using functions like TOTALYTD, TOTALQTD, and TOTALMTD. Another worthy thing to do is to check out trade indices. If you need more specific guidance on implementing this in Power BI, don't hesitate to ask. 

BrianConnelly
Resolver III
Resolver III

In your measures, use variables and manage your filters with functions such as:

ALL

ALLSELECTED

ALLEXCEPT

REMOVEFILTERS

Anonymous
Not applicable

But they ALL seem to work when theres a filter selected. I wanted a solution for when  theres no filters selected.

i.e. I cant imagine running a TV channel filtering data speifically to those clients who watch my channel every morning. Simply Impossible. So the solution would be to just show UNFILTERED Current data all the time.

vicky_
Super User
Super User

There's DAX functions that do that calculation for you - TOTALYTD, TOTALQTD and TOTALMTD, which you can combine with TODAY() that just returns today's date. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors