Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vaishali12
Frequent Visitor

Ranking and Count using DAX

Hi, 

I'm pretty new to DAX and have been trying to implement the following logic in a visual. The aim to have a rolling window of 7 countries , based on the ranking of a specific country that has been selected. 

I've included the logic that I've though of and how it would look like when the selected country changes. I'm tried playing around with DISTINCTCOUNT and SELECTEDVALUE but i'm not having much luck.  

If anyone here can point me in the right direction, that would be awesome. 

For ease of reference:

Count refers to the count of all distinct countries.

Ranking refers to  the ranking of the chosen country.

1st Rule:  If the Count <=  7, then include all the countries.

2nd Rule: If the Count > 7 and Ranking <= 4, include the top 7 countries

3rd Rule: If the Count > 7 and Ranking > (Count – 3), include the bottom 7 countries

4th Rule: Else, take (+/- 3 ) of the Ranking.

Chosen country

Country

AirWeight

Ranking

Italy

Greece

Norway

Germany

2nd Rule

Italy

2nd Rule

France

2nd Rule

United Kingdom

2nd Rule

Netherlands

2nd Rule

4th Rule

Spain

2nd Rule

4th Rule

Belgium + Luxembourg

2nd Rule

4th Rule

Norway

4th Rule

Switzerland

4th Rule

Sweden

4th Rule

Austria

4th Rule

Denmark

3rd Rule

Irish Republic

3rd Rule

Finland

3rd Rule

Portugal

3rd Rule

Greece

3rd Rule

Iceland

3rd Rule

Other Western Europe

3rd Rule

Guernsey

excluded as it has NULL AirWeight

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah... it's all good and can be done but... what is it that you want to calculate? Is it, for instance, for each country the average of AirWeight over the countries that you want to pick up through the rules?

Best

Darek

Hi @Anonymous , 

I would want to create a column 'To include' where it will be 1 if it fits the rules, or 0 if it doesn't. 

This column would be used to filer out the countries that are to be shown on a visual (a bar chart for example) which ranks the countries with 'to Include' = 1 based on the Air Weight. 

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vaishali12 wrote:

Hi @darlove , 

I would want to create a column 'To include' where it will be 1 if it fits the rules, or 0 if it doesn't. 

Where do you want to create the column? I still don't understand... Would you please create some picture of what it really is you want and paste in here? You can draw on a piece of paper (but legibly!), take a pic with your phone and post here... That'll be the fastest way.

Best

Darek

Hi @Anonymous , 

I apologise for the delay in getting back to you.  I've created a few snapshots of the original table with the snapshots and how the 'To Include' column in the original table changes (with the rules mentioned in the first post as the underlying logic) as the slicer selection changes. 

1. Original table with no slicer selection1. Original table with no slicer selection

2. 'To Include' column changes with new slicer selection2. 'To Include' column changes with new slicer selection3. 'To Include' column changes with new slicer selection3. 'To Include' column changes with new slicer selection

Does this seem to make a little more sense?  Thank you very much for your time!

Regards,

shali

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is still not clear...

Where do you get Ranking from? Is this a field in one of your tables? Or is it a measure that adjusts accordingly to the currently visible countries in the column? I'm asking because if it's a column in a table, then it does not look like the rules you've given are going to work. If Ranking is a measure, then...

Best would be if you could take a screenshot of your model and paste in here. This would help a lot.

Thanks.

Best

Darek

The ranking is a calculated mesaure that I've managed to figure out using DAX, so it's not built into the original table. Only the countries and Airweight are part of the original dataset. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

What happens if two countries happen to have the same value on which you rank? Then your logic will still be valid?

Best

Darek

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.