Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Fromit87
Advocate I
Advocate I

Max Value of Running Total per Year -> want to exclude current Year from Max

Hi!

I have a measure RT_MONTH calculating the running total of unit sales per fiscal month/year.

With a second measure MAX_RT, I identified the max value per month for the annual running totals.

MAX_RT = 
CALCULATE(
    MAXX(values(FY_CAL[FSCL_YR]),SALES[RT_MONTH]))

That works as intended, but it obviously includes data for the current fiscal year, which I need to avoid.

How do I adjust my MAX_RT measure to return the max value for the last 5 fiscal years, but excluding the current fiscal year? 

Example:

If I look at the example of January, the value of 18 as a result of MAX_RT (left table) comes from fiscal year 2021 (right table).Fromit87_1-1619537232430.png

The current fiscal year is identified by (I cannot use time intelligence, as fiscal years, fiscal months deviate from calendar yrs/months):

VAR CurrentFY = LOOKUPVALUE(FY_CAL[FSCL_YR],FY_CAL[CAL_DT],TODAY())

FY_CAL is the date table with a 1:* relationship of column FY_CAL[CAL_DT] to SALES[DATE_SOLD] 

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I finally got it to work. Seems, that I mixed MAXX with CALCULATE. I have a column in my date table, that identifies previous fiscal years by -1,-2,-3 etc., the current fiscal year is 0. That way I filtered the table values of fiscal year to include everything but the current year. Then the measure resulted in the max value for previous years, excluding the current year.

From a performance perspective CALCUALTETABLE might not be ideal, but I don't know if there is an easier way with the same result.

MAX_RT =
MAXX (
    CALCULATETABLE (
        VALUES ( 'FY_CAL'[FSCL_YR] ),
        FILTER ( FY_CAL, FY_CAL[FSCL_YR_DIFF_CNT] < 0 )
    ),
    CALCULATE ( [RT_MONTH] )
)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Fromit87
Advocate I
Advocate I

@amitchandak Thank you for your reply!

The moment I add a filter to the MAX_RT measure, it returns no longer the maximum running totals per month, but only the maximum values per month (separately, not cumulative anymore).

MAX_RT =
CALCULATE(MAXX(values(FY_CAL[FSCL_YR]),SALES[RT_MONTH]),FILTER('FY_CAL','FY_CAL'[FSCL_YR]<2021))

I finally got it to work. Seems, that I mixed MAXX with CALCULATE. I have a column in my date table, that identifies previous fiscal years by -1,-2,-3 etc., the current fiscal year is 0. That way I filtered the table values of fiscal year to include everything but the current year. Then the measure resulted in the max value for previous years, excluding the current year.

From a performance perspective CALCUALTETABLE might not be ideal, but I don't know if there is an easier way with the same result.

MAX_RT =
MAXX (
    CALCULATETABLE (
        VALUES ( 'FY_CAL'[FSCL_YR] ),
        FILTER ( FY_CAL, FY_CAL[FSCL_YR_DIFF_CNT] < 0 )
    ),
    CALCULATE ( [RT_MONTH] )
)

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Fromit87 , you should be able to use datesytd on top or first formula, because it can end date of choice

example

MAX_RT =
CALCULATE(
MAXX(values(FY_CAL[FSCL_YR]),SALES[RT_MONTH]) , datesytd('Date'[Date], "3/31"))

or like 

This Year = CALCULATE(MAXX(values(FY_CAL[FSCL_YR]),SALES[RT_MONTH]) ,filter(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year])))

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :radacad sqlbi My Video Series Appreciate your Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.