Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any robust way to detect if I am at the total row in a table?

Hi all,

I have a very simple setup: a MS SQL Server table Employee with one column named EmployeeName. There are only two values in this table: John, Sam.
create table Employee(EmployeeName varchar(100));
insert into Employee(EmployeeName) values ('John'), ('Sam');

I import this table into power bi report model, and the model consists of only that one table.
On the report pane I have two visualizations: a slicer and a table. The slicer is based on the EmployeeName column, the table shows the same column.
The option Total is enabled for the table so that at the very bottom I have the total row.
I need to have the next functionality in the table: for each employee I have to show the letter "d" (detail) when at a detail row, and the letter "t" (total) when at the total row.

To implement this functionality I have created a measure TheLetter = IF(HASONEVALUE(Employee[EmployeeName]), "d", "t"), and placed this measure into the table visual.
This works as expected, until I have filtered the Employee table down to one row thru the slicer. As soon as I have done it, my measure shows "d" at the total row, and this not what I wanted to show - I need to show the letter "t" at the total row no matter what.

Does anybody know if there is a robust was to accomplish that, please?

vp_powerbi_0-1605790025328.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User
2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot! The solution worked like a charm 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.