Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Aksh_1234

How to get number of rows in a table based on a single column used in two different types?

Hi all, 

Need one quick help here, In my data, I have kind of a Parent-Child like structure in my fact table in a single column, but I have created another table which defines parent child relationship as below:

Aksh_1234_0-1710855393897.png

Now, in my fact table, I have only index column and I have two text columns to compare the actual and expected values and define them as TRUE or FALSE.

So, fact table is like
Index --- Actual --- Expected

19  ---- Yes ----- Yes

20 ----- Yes ----- No

21 ----- No ----- No

So, for index 19,20,21, I can easily say that 19 and 21 is True and 20 is False. But, for 18 (which is parent for 19,20,21), I need to see if all the child indexes the true, then only I will be able to mark it as true. For this, I am trying an approach where I am getting the count of child indexes first (which I am able to do using DAX and parent child relation table) and then get the count of True rows for those child (this is where I need help), and if both these counts are equal then I am marking 18 as True else False. 

Can you please help me with DAX where I can get the count of Trues for all the child under any given parent?

Regards

3 REPLIES 3
Aksh_12345
Regular Visitor

Hey @Daoud_H you can find the PBIX file here -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D7-ibijR8lgHJ1NeB5u6_EcoLa3PVoYV/view?usp=drivesdk

Uploading from different id couldnt use the same id

Daoud_H
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Aksh_1234

Assuming you have a parent-child relationship table named "ParentChildRelationship" with columns "ParentIndex" and "ChildIndex", and your fact table is named "FactTable" with columns "Index", "Actual", and "Expected", you can create a measure like this:

CountTrueForChildren = 
VAR ParentIndex = SELECTEDVALUE('FactTable'[Index])
VAR ChildRows = 
    CALCULATE(
        COUNTROWS('FactTable'),
        FILTER(
            'ParentChildRelationship',
            'ParentChildRelationship'[ParentIndex] = ParentIndex
        )
    )
VAR TrueChildRows = 
    CALCULATE(
        COUNTROWS('FactTable'),
        FILTER(
            'ParentChildRelationship',
            'ParentChildRelationship'[ParentIndex] = ParentIndex &&
            'FactTable'[Actual] = "Yes" &&
            'FactTable'[Expected] = "Yes"
        )
    )
RETURN
IF(ChildRows = TrueChildRows, TRUE(), FALSE())

Hope it helps.

Hey @Daoud_H ,

Thanks for the prompt response, but I have tried this already, but it is not working and giving some incorrect number in front of rows even where it is not a parent row. For example, I am getting some random number in front of 19 and 20 instead of 18.

I will try to upload the PBIX file with some sample data if possible, but I think since the fact table is having so many extra columns, maybe that is causing some extra filteration or something to happen

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors