Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Chris2016
Resolver I
Resolver I

How to get a catalog of reports from a workspace, along with other report metadata

Hello,

I am looking to create a report that retrieves a list of all reports from a workspace, along with each report's actual link, creation date, data sources, number of users who have access, how many views per each report, if the reports have RLS or not. The Usage Metrics report is handy for each particular report in terms of report usage, but it does not have that level of details, so I am looking to create a custom report for all reports in a workspace.
Is there a way to have an automatic connection to get this sort of reports' metadata in a workspace?

Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi @Chris2016 

Check this out, you can get all workspaces, datasets and reports in one shot.

(1) Building a Power BI Admin View [Part 1]: Connecting to Data from the REST API - YouTube

I tried to use Parameters to pass the authorization token from Power BI service, but sometime it worked and sometiomes it did not. So had to manually refresh report from Power BI Desktop.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
talespin
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

hi @Chris2016 

Just sharing my experience with this.

Only solution I am aware of is using Power BI API's and depending on your user id permission(Admin vs regular user) you can only access API that correspond to your user permission.

Power BI REST APIs for embedded analytics and automation - Power BI REST API | Microsoft Learn

I used token from Microsoft site to access Power BI API's. This is just an example.

Datasets - Get Dataset Users - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

talespin_0-1708429983386.png

Token retrieval can be automated, but I couldn't find any secure method which doesn't require saving Power BI username/password in Power Query.

Thanks so much for your reply, Talespin, I am already using rest API to get a list of reports in a workspace: Reports - Get Reports In Group - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

Then I am using other operations to get some metadata, but it must be done for every single report, so not very productive:
- This is for created date:
Datasets - Get Dataset In Group - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn
- This is for report users, like you mentioned: 
Datasets - Get Dataset Users In Group - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

I am looking to see if there's a way to get at least some of the reports' metadata in an automatic way, because reports are added/deleted from the workspace periodically, plus, it is not feasible to pull information such as creation date for every single report...
Thanks a lot again!

hi @Chris2016 

Check this out, you can get all workspaces, datasets and reports in one shot.

(1) Building a Power BI Admin View [Part 1]: Connecting to Data from the REST API - YouTube

I tried to use Parameters to pass the authorization token from Power BI service, but sometime it worked and sometiomes it did not. So had to manually refresh report from Power BI Desktop.

Thanks so much, Talespin, this is video is great. It really helps, as it explains how to use the Authorization bearer with Anonymous connection type (I had been trying and failing with Organisational or Basic, it never occurred to me to try this with Anonymous).

Best regards!

You're welcome.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.