Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KA95
Helper III
Helper III

How to create a measure that only displays one value for each row on a specific column of data

Apologies, it is a difficult question to ask so I will explain it the best I can.

I have a visual that shows the total of a column called "Quantity" from the table [Line Items], however, there is another column on the [Line Items] table called “Category”. These categories are typically “Assembly”, “Workshop”, and “Virtual”.

Here's a sample of that table [Line Items] below:

Line Item ID

Deal ID

Category

Quantity

Amount

Assembly

Workshop

Workshop

Assembly

Virtual

These line items are attatched to different Deals, and on every Deal I only want one quantity value (the quantity values will always be the same on a deal) as you can see above.

So, each quantity has a category. I want to write a measure that only calculates the quantity from one category rather than all 3. So, if my table visual shows a specific set of [Line Items] and it has quantity categories that are assembly and workshop, I want it to only take the quantity value from one or the other, not both.

So if I filter a visual that shows lineitems 1002, 1003, and 1005 that is from Deal 1003, I want the quantity to remain 260 rather than adding the quantity up. However, I still want the amount values calculated normally, so I only want the Quantity column effected. 

So if I was to create say an "Official Quantity" measure, how would it go?

Official Quantity = 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KA95
Helper III
Helper III

I found a way how to do it, incase anyone else needs to go, here is the measure I created: 

Official Quantity = SUMX (DISTINCT('LineItem'[quantity]), FIRSTNONBLANK ('LineItem'[quantity], 0 ))

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KA95
Helper III
Helper III

I found a way how to do it, incase anyone else needs to go, here is the measure I created: 

Official Quantity = SUMX (DISTINCT('LineItem'[quantity]), FIRSTNONBLANK ('LineItem'[quantity], 0 ))
KA95
Helper III
Helper III

Apologies this post was marked as spam previously I'm not sure why. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.