Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MajorBloodnock
Frequent Visitor

Getting a value from a date slicer

Hi, all; I hope you can help me.

I have had a good trawl round both on this forum and t'Interweb in general but can't find an answer to my question. I have a "between" date slicer based on the date values of a data table populated by records for every working day. As a result, the table does not contain any records for weekends or bank holidays. Typically the slicer is used to filter for a month's data and the first/last dates may not actually exist in the data (if 1st is a Sunday, for instance). I want to be able to programmatically access the dates the user selected, therefore, not the earliest/latest dates in the data that fall inside the slicer's filter.

Is this possible? I can't imagine I'm the first to want to do this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @MajorBloodnock 

In general, you should create a Date dimension table containing a contiguous range of dates.

You should then create a 1:many relationship between the Date table and fact tables in your model.

Any date filters should then be applied via the Date table (rather than fact tables), such as your "between" slicer, and you will be able to access the earliest/latest dates selected in the slicer by referencing the Date table, independent of dates that actually exist in your fact table(s).

Here is one article in Microsoft Learn related to this:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/model-date-tables

Regards

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MajorBloodnock
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, Owen

Yes, that's what I was starting to expect; that I'd have to fill in dummy dates in one respect or another and that accessing a simple control property wouldn't be possible. It's rather heavy-handed but that's a Microsoft problem rather than yours so I've accepted your post as the solution.

Thanks for taking the time.

OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @MajorBloodnock 

In general, you should create a Date dimension table containing a contiguous range of dates.

You should then create a 1:many relationship between the Date table and fact tables in your model.

Any date filters should then be applied via the Date table (rather than fact tables), such as your "between" slicer, and you will be able to access the earliest/latest dates selected in the slicer by referencing the Date table, independent of dates that actually exist in your fact table(s).

Here is one article in Microsoft Learn related to this:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/model-date-tables

Regards

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors