Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tez
Resolver I
Resolver I

FILTER() makes USERELATIONSHIP() superfluous?

I have two tables (simplified):

Table A: StartDate, EndDate, ...

Table B (Datetable): Date, ...

Table A StartDate has an active relationship to Table B Date, Table A EndDate has an inactive relationship to Table B Date.

Additionally I have two calculated columns in Table B:

X = COUNTROWS(FILTER('Table A', 'Table A'[StartDate] = 'Table B'[Date]))

Y = COUNTROWS(FILTER('Table A', 'Table A'[EndDate] = 'Table B'[Date]))

It looks like the result is correct. However, I would have guessed that for the second statement (calculation of Y) I would have actually needed the USERELATIONSHIP() function; apparently that is not necessary. Can anyone judge or explain this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The relationships are not being used with the way your calculated columns are written. Since there isn't a CALCULATE transforming the row context to filter context, Table A isn't filtered by Table B except as you explicitly define the filter, so which relationship is active doesn't affect the calculation.

This wouldn't work (and couldn't be written) quite the same way if these were measures instead of calculated columns.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tez
Resolver I
Resolver I

Thanks for the feedback. I worded that in a misleading way: I didn't mean that USERELATIONSHIP was generally redundant. I just had the impression that it would seemingly not be necessary in this context of the FILTER function. Is that correct?

The relationships are not being used with the way your calculated columns are written. Since there isn't a CALCULATE transforming the row context to filter context, Table A isn't filtered by Table B except as you explicitly define the filter, so which relationship is active doesn't affect the calculation.

This wouldn't work (and couldn't be written) quite the same way if these were measures instead of calculated columns.

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

There are multiple ways to propagate filters in DAX. That doesn't mean one or the other is "superfluous".

The biggest difference is that FILTER is flexible but virtual whereas USERELATIONSHIP is more limited but physical.

I recommend this article which covers multiple filter propagation techniques and compares their performance:
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/propagate-filters-using-treatas-in-dax/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.