Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

albatoul
Helper I
Helper I

Excel sheet with Power bi

Dear all

please I need your help before the next 24 hour 💔 

I connect my excel sheet with power bi and finish my work 

then to find out that when I share it with other users it's dose not refresh intel i refresh it in the power bi desk top and I upload it again

not to mention that users need to use the excel sheet and up date it manual from time and then 

and refresh it using the power bi online 

18 REPLIES 18
albatoul
Helper I
Helper I

sorry it's taken so long I need help in this last step i don't know why it's show unathurize access I gave access but it's fail to refresh 

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @albatoul ,

I have a test on my side.

Eyelyn9_0-1641361644648.png

This means you have successfully configured the gateway.

Then click the "Scheduled refresh" icon of this dataset , map the data source and click "Apply".  Then everything will work fine.

Eyelyn9_1-1641361880196.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I did all the step 

albatoul_0-1641362437832.png

so everyy this time will refresh even though I edit the exel sheet I can,t refresh manually ?

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @albatoul ,

Please firstly erase some private information contained in your pictures like the username, file address...

According to your screenshots, the full path you entered is not correct, yours is ended with a folder name but not the excel file name

Please go to Transform --> Data source settings to get the full path that is ended with .xlsx

Eyelyn9_0-1641347334764.png

A similar thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/We-could-not-register-this-data-source-for-any-gateway-inst...

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

same error even after I correct the path

albatoul_1-1641360284754.png

albatoul_2-1641360499379.png

albatoul_1-1641361319354.png

thank you so much not the gateway is able but still dosse not refresh 

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @albatoul ,

Did you install the gateway? Please share the error message or some screenshots.

Refer to

Install an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Docs

Use the on-premises data gateway app | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

albatoul
Helper I
Helper I

it's not working please  hellp me I'm alone learn by myself the problem is with the gateway it's show disable 

albatoul
Helper I
Helper I

dear @ashkanduja

thank you for replaing I already add it in one drive then went to power bi 

click on Get data -> then web-> and add the file 

is this the right way ?

(ou can then set up a scheduled refresh for you power bi dataset.) can you explain this more please 

Yes, that's the right way.

Setting up scheduled refresh is fairly straight forward as long as you have the right permissions. See MS documentation here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-scheduled-refresh

If you still have issues you can PM me and share your screen. I can try and guide you that way.

thank you so much I will try it now then replay to you 

Hi @albatoul ,

Actually, if your excel file is stored in local mahcine, you could publish the report to service , configure gateway and scheduled refresh to make it automatically update in the Power BI service. If you are a pro user, you could set up to  8 times per day (Premium 48 times)to refresh. For the whole steps, please refer to:

POWER BI AND LOCAL EXCEL DATA REFRESH

Refresh a dataset created from an Excel workbook - local - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Or as @askhanduja suggested, you could upload your excel file in cloud storage such as OneDrive for Business or SharePoint Online.

Here is an official document talking about Refresh a dataset created from an Excel workbook on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online :

Any data you’ve loaded into your file’s model is imported into the dataset, and any reports you’ve created in the file are loaded into Reports in Power BI.

Power BI automatically connects to the workbook on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online, about every hour to check for updates. If the workbook has changed, Power BI will refresh the dataset and reports in the Power BI service.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

thank you so muccchhh I will try this 

albatoul
Helper I
Helper I

thank you for your fast replaying I put it in OneDrive in my PC do you thing is google drive is better ? 

and is it possible for youser to update the sheet when it's in google drive ?

Try opening the onedrive location in you browser and copy the address from there. It should look something like https://<your-org-name>.sharepoint.com/<your-workspace-name>

It is this location that you need to supply to the power query editor as the source location for your excel file.

askhanduja
Helper I
Helper I

If you're using power bi service, then one possible solution is to put the excel file in a shared OneDrive location, and import excel data from there into power bi. You can then set up a scheduled refresh for you power bi dataset.

Samarth_18
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @albatoul ,

If you put excel at your local machine then all the time you need to follow this process .

What I would suggest, Please put your excel file in share point and refresh your report from Power BI services.

By this way you only need to replace excel sheet in sharepoint whenever it require and then refresh your report.

Thanks,

Samarth

Best Regards,
Samarth

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Appreciate your Kudos!!
Connect on Linkedin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.