Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mgrehandcu
Regular Visitor

Dynamic filtering/column issue

**edited to clarify terminology**

Hi,

New to Power Bi and DAX and struggling with the following issue.

I have a very large dataset with properties similar to the below example data. I am trying to identify if my data for the year 2020 is unusual (because of covid). My analysis is being done at Faculty level.

A simplification of what I would like to do is filter my list of subjects from 2020 based on if they are an outlier inside a Faculty based on 2019 data. To make the example simple here I will just call an outlier >Quartile 3 (Q3) or <Quartile 1 (Q1) of the 2019 data. 

Calculating Q1 and Q3 for each faculty is easily done with a measure. However I do not want to hard code those values anywhere for a number of reasons.

So what I need in the below table is a calculated column "outlier" that identifies for a subject in 2020 in a particular Faculty if the average mark is >Q3 or <Q1 for the same faculty for 2019 data. But this value needs to be dynamic, so for example if I realise subject C should be in Faculty 1 instead of 2, a recalculation is done to redetermine the outlier status of this subject, etc.

Logically what I need but because of my lack of DAX knowledge cannot construct is:

=IF(OR([Average Mark] > (Dynamic Value of Q3 for Subject's Faculty and Year  = 2019), [Average Mark] < (Dynamic Value Q1 for Subject's Faculty and Year  = 2019), "Outlier", "Not Outlier")

Any help, hints, directions to similar postings appreciated.

SubjectFacultyYearAverage Mark
A1202050
B1202060
C2202060
D2202055
E3202065
F3202075
A1201985
B1201955
C2201965
D2201960
E3201935
F3201945

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES 5
harshnathani
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @mgrehandcu ,

Can you share sample data aong with dates.

Regards,

Harsh Nathani

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Q1 and Q3 are quartile 1 and quartile 3, not quarter 1 and quarter 3. This is an attempt to identify "outliers" in exam results data, the only time variable is year.

So Q3 = percentile.inc([Average Mark], 0.75) for example.

I will re-edit original post for clarity.

Definitely, thanks very much

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mgrehandcu , I do not see any qtr in data.

Typically when I do not have the date, Try to add a date and try to use date table and time intelligence. Else I move time-related data to a new table. Create a rank and do it.

Using Rank

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Week-Is-Not-So-Weak-WTD-Last-WTD-and-This-Week-vs-La...

uning Time Intelligence 2
https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-qtd-questions-time-intelligence-2-5-d842063da839

Creating date when Date is not there

Within first few mins -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPQ9UV37LOU&t=28s

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.