Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic Ranking, Counting, & Deciling

Hey everyone,

I have been working on this problem the last day or two but to no avail and could really use your assistance and expertise.

Using dax formulas, I have created a dynamic rank that calculates the product packages of my company based on their gross profit. This rank is dynamic where it will update the ranked list based on the region and distributor selected to only show the products that are being sold in those selected values.

When attempting to count the total number of product packages being evaluated in the dax measure when filtered, it returns the total number of packages, not the filtered amount. For example, we have 450 products but only 50 should show for a selected distributor/region. Is there a formula that can provide me a dynamic count of product packages that are being evaluated based on the filters that have been selected?

Also, is there a calculation that can break down the ranked items into deciles or any other binning method? For example, if a selected distributor in a selected region has 50 products, is there a way to classify into a dynamic rank consisting of 10 groups of 5?

Please let me know if you need any sort of example and I can provide a dummy set of data to assist.

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please read this article Use of RANKX in Power BI measures - SQLBI - it describes the issues that you will encounter when using RANKX for measures, and how to resolve them.  The site also has patterns for binning. (daxpatterns.com)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors