Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DerekCook0814
Regular Visitor

Dynamic RLS using Dataverse tables works until the users try Accessing

Please advise. I set up Dynamic Row Level Security for a report that uses a table from DataVerse as my security table (with email addresses). The email address field is formatted as Email Address in the table. I followed all of the steps in this video as much as they show (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3oLWtWABfo). I can test in Power BI desktop using the users' email addresses. I also tested the security (test as role) on the Power BI Diamond Workspace (after publishing). Everything worked great until I shared the report with two users who have Viewer access to the workspace. They receive the following message just as if they had no access to the data: "The report can't be viewed because the underlying dataset uses row-level security (RLS)."

Here is the code I set up in the Modeling, Manage Roles: [RLS_EmailAddress] = USERPRINCIPALNAME()

I've done some searching on forums and saw someone say that USERPRINCIPALNAME() needs to be in double quotes. That breaks this from working in the desktop and web versions.

Addl info- I am bringing the data in all tables as a dataset(Import) rather than accessing the data through a DirectQuery connection.

Please advise!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DerekCook0814
Regular Visitor

I just want to reply back as to what the solution to my problem was. This was something that was not shown in the original video because the test shown still met the needs. Even though the email addresses are in the table I created for RLS, I still needed to add the email addresses to the Security Settings for the Dynamic RLS group I created

DerekCook0814_0-1677849786032.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DerekCook0814
Regular Visitor

I just want to reply back as to what the solution to my problem was. This was something that was not shown in the original video because the test shown still met the needs. Even though the email addresses are in the table I created for RLS, I still needed to add the email addresses to the Security Settings for the Dynamic RLS group I created

DerekCook0814_0-1677849786032.png

DerekCook0814
Regular Visitor

Hi All. I am still looking for a resolution to this issue. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know

DerekCook0814
Regular Visitor

@Tamer Thank you for your prompt response. I just tried USERNAME(). I also tried USERNAME (). I even tried [RLS_EmailAddress] = USERNAME( ) || [RLS_EmailAddress] = USERPRINCIPALNAME()

Unfortunately, none of the three worked either. 

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

@DerekCook0814 

Try using USERNAME ( )

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.