Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jbaisley
Helper I
Helper I

Dynamic Group that can be pulled into summary measures Power BI

DAX is my enemy and I am struggling to parse solutions to similar problems and apply the learning. So if this is re-treading group I do apologise but am very grateful for the help.

I have a reference table that is the primary slicer for my entire Power BI file. This table has a repeated index for all UK local authorities (LA's) and their associated comparators. It looks like like:

LA Index LA Comparator
Barking and DagenhamSouthwark
Barking and DagenhamTower Hamlets
Barking and DagenhamLambeth
Barking and DagenhamBarking and Dagenham
BarnetHarrow
BarnetRedbridge
BarnetEnfield

So a slicer will allow a user to select an LA from the `LA Index` but what we want is for the `LA Comparator` list for use in visuals. Then we want to select those `LA Comparators` when they appear in other data tables for the purposes of summary for a group. Acting a filter. So if the user selected Barking and Dagenham a sperate table of population might then like this:

LA Average Pop
Southwark10000
Tower Hamlets15000
Lambeth4000
Barking and Dagenham5000

But then summarise that into an average of 8500 that can be used in a Card or KPI visual.

Even better if I could use that grouping in something like a sunburst visual with the outer rings being the comparators and inner ring being the selected LA.

Bascially, how can I make `LA Comparators`  a dynmic variable I can use across anything. I hope that is clear. Happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

6 REPLIES 6
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @jbaisley 

as per you description, a simple AVERAGE should do. 

@tamerj1 thanks desn't explain how I get the comparators to act as a group. 

@jbaisley 

Place tge column in a table visual along with the measure 

Hello @tamerj1 I don't think I have explained the issue clearly. I don't want a table. I want to create a measure that will filter the necessary values to the LA Comparators of my selected value and summarise just those ones into a single measure. Jsut trying you soultion give me this. 

Capture.PNG

And yes, that works for a Card visual, but not for a KPI or anyhting else that requires a group as I need it to be a singlar value. For exmaple. If I also droped that into a bar chart it looks like this:

Capture.PNG

I don't want individual bar for each comparator. I want a singualr bar that would be a average or some other transofrmation of those groups so that I can show it along side other metircs. 

@jbaisley 

Not 100% sure I understand your requirement. I mean If you want to see a single value in the column chart then remove the column fron the chart (keep only the measure)

Let stry it this way. If I wanted to take the original table:

LA Index LA Comparator
BarnetHarrow
BarnetRedbridge
BarnetEnfield

Filter it to Barking and Dagenham:

LA IndexLA Comparator

Now I need to produce a cross table summary for a starburst visual form another table:

LA IndexPercentage of Popualtion
Southwark20%
Barking and Dagenham50%
Tower Hamlets10%
Lambeth10%

The cross table needs to be the selected value 'Barking and Dagenham', and the other group needs to the others grouped togehter as an average:

LA IndexPercentage of Popualtion
Comparators15%
Barking and Dagenham50%

How do I get to the Other comparator group as a measure or value in a table I can use elsewhere.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.