Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Divide All Values Based on Column While Respecting Filter Context in Pivot Table

Hi all,

First post, hope everyone is well 😊

I have a relatively simple query, but unsure of how to go about constructing a DAX expression.

Probably easier to explain with a simple example. I have a table that looks like the following:

Company Type Value 
Revenue         1,000
Revenue         2,500
Sales               50
Sales            125
Number               30
Number               75

What I would like to do is write a DAX expression that will return the Value of everything in the Type column divided by the value of Number:

For example Revenue/Number and Sales/Number for Company A and B, while respecting the filter context of the Pivot Table - there is a lot of other columns excluded in the above simple example for ease.

The above is a simplified table, so there could be 1000,s of values for Company A/B under Revenue, Sales and Number. So know I have to use sum kind of SUM and DIVIDE function, perhaps with a CALCULATE.

Any pointers to get me started would be awesome!

5 REPLIES 5
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous ,

You could create a measure.

Measure = 
DIVIDE( CALCULATE(SUM([Value ]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table'),[Company ]=MAX([Company ])&&[Type ]=MAX([Type ]))),
CALCULATE(SUM([Value ]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Company ]=MAX('Table'[Company ])&&[Type ]="Number")))

The final show:

vyalanwumsft_0-1656471294404.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much @v-yalanwu-msft for this Measure! 😀

I had simplified the table significantly - there was one added complexity.

Both Company and Type are seperate Fact tables that are connected to Value with keys whose grain is what I included in the example table (e.g (A,B,...) for Company and (Sales, Revenue, Number,....) for Type). 

I want to be able to pivot both Company and Type using the Fact tables, that have a rolled up view of the primary keys.

What change would need to be made in the measure you suggested to bring in these related tables?

kitgo2
Advocate I
Advocate I

try -- you would just need to replace Revenue with Sales for the sales measure:

#Revenue = Calculate(Divide(CALCULATE(sum(Pivot[Value]),Pivot[Type]="Revenue", Allexcept(Pivot,Pivot[Company])),CALCULATE(sum(Pivot[Value]),Pivot[Type]="Number", Allexcept(Pivot,Pivot[Company])),0),ALLEXCEPT(Pivot,Pivot[Company]))
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @kitgo2  thanks a lot for this, let me a give it a try and will come back to you.

kitgo2
Advocate I
Advocate I

try -- you would just need to replace Revenue with Sales for the sales measure:

#Revenue = Calculate(Divide(CALCULATE(sum(Pivot[Value]),Pivot[Type]="Revenue", Allexcept(Pivot,Pivot[Company])),CALCULATE(sum(Pivot[Value]),Pivot[Type]="Number", Allexcept(Pivot,Pivot[Company])),0),ALLEXCEPT(Pivot,Pivot[Company]))

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors