Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

harinik
Frequent Visitor

DAX lookupvalue with date condition

Hello,
I want to lookupvalue based on a particular date. There are 2 tables. Table 1 with meter_id, power outage column and measurement date. Table 2 with child meters associated with the meter_id from table 1. Now I want to lookupvalue in table 2 based on following conditions:
1. Meter_id with power outage flag set to 1 in table 1
2. Lookup values only for meter_ids with the selected measurement date. The measurement date is linked to a calendar table and the calendar date from calendar table is used to select the measurement date. Finally in table 2 I want to set a power outage flag for those child meters associated with the meter_id from table 1

For example: If the selected date : 10.5.2023, then only the 100A meter with power outage flag set to 1 should be used to lookup value in table 2 and its corresponding child ABC1 should have the child power outage set to 1. The other child meters shouldn't be set to 1 because the power outage for its main meter was not on 10.5.2023

Table 1   
Meter IDdatepower outage
100A10.5.20231 
1000B11.6.20231 
123C22.11.2022  
145D13.5.20231 
Table 2    
Meter IDParent IDchild power outage
ABC1100A1 
X10081000B  
XV200145D  
XY100146E  

Currently, I wrote a DAX function in table 2 as follows:

child_power_outage = LOOKUPVALUE(table 1[power_outage],table 1[Meter ID],[Parent ID],table 1[power_outage],1)

But this gives:
Table 2    
Meter IDParent IDchild power outage 
ABC1100A1 
X10081000B1 
XV200145D1 
XY100146E  

Is there a way to include a date condition or date filter in lookupvalue. ? I have tried merging table 1 and table 2, but power query is not allowing it because table 1 has other queries merged with it and it says it references other queries, so it may not directly access a data source, so rebuild this data combination. Any little bit of help is much appreciated. I am stuck at this problem for a long time. 
Thanks a lot.
5 REPLIES 5
Alef_Ricardo_
Resolver II
Resolver II

To achieve the desired result in Table 2, where you want to set the "child power outage" based on the conditions in Table 1, you need to filter the lookup based on both the meter's "power outage" flag and the selected "measurement date." Unfortunately, you can't directly use `LOOKUPVALUE` for this purpose. Instead, you can create a calculated column in Table 2 using DAX to achieve this. Here's a step-by-step approach to do this:

1. Create a new calculated column in Table 1 to associate each child meter with the measurement date where the parent meter had a power outage. This column will filter based on the "power outage" flag and the selected measurement date.

```DAX
Child Power Outage Date =
VAR SelectedDate = SELECTEDVALUE(Calendar[Date])
RETURN
IF(
CALCULATE(MAX('Table1'[power outage]),
FILTER('Table1', 'Table1'[power outage] = 1 && 'Table1'[date] = SelectedDate)) = 1,
BLANK()
)
```

2. Now, in Table 2, you can create a calculated column "Child Power Outage" that references the "Child Power Outage Date" from Table 1.

```DAX
Child Power Outage = RELATED('Table1'[Child Power Outage Date])
```

This approach ensures that the "Child Power Outage" column in Table 2 is set to 1 only when the "power outage" flag in Table 1 is 1, and the associated measurement date matches the selected date from your calendar table.

Make sure that you have a valid relationship between your tables and that you are using the selected date from your calendar table correctly in the calculations.

harinik
Frequent Visitor

Is this a calculated DAX column or measure?

123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

The DAX formula I provided should be used as a calculated column in Table 2, not as a measure.

You should add this formula as a new calculated column in Table 2 to calculate the "child power outage" values based on the conditions mentioned in your original question. Calculated columns are used to create new columns within your table, while measures are used for aggregations and calculations at a summary level.

I tried this DAX formula as calculated column but it does not work for me. It shows only blanks.

123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

To achieve your desired result, you can use a combination of DAX functions and filters to apply the date condition when performing the lookup. Here's a modified DAX measure for the "child_power_outage" column in Table 2 that takes into account both the power outage flag and the selected measurement date:

child_power_outage =

VAR SelectedDate = MAX('Calendar'[Calendar Date]) // Replace 'Calendar' with the actual name of your calendar table

RETURN

IF(

LOOKUPVALUE(

'Table1'[power outage],

'Table1'[Meter ID], [Parent ID],

'Table1'[date], SelectedDate,

'Table1'[power outage], 1

) = 1,

BLANK()

)

This measure uses a variable, SelectedDate, to capture the selected measurement date from your calendar table. Then, it uses LOOKUPVALUE to search for a match in Table 1 based on the parent meter ID, the selected date, and the power outage flag. If a match is found with a power outage flag of 1, it returns 1 for the child power outage column in Table 2; otherwise, it returns a blank.

Make sure to replace 'Calendar' with the actual name of your calendar table in the code.

This DAX measure should give you the expected result where only child meters associated with a parent meter with a power outage flag set to 1 on the selected measurement date will have their child power outage flag set to 1 in Table 2.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors