Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tvaishnav
Helper IV
Helper IV

DAX error : A single value for column 'Date' in table 'Date' cannot be determined.

I am new to DAX and trying learn it. So I am essentially looking for an explanation as to what is causing the error.

Following formula works fine

AverageX = Averagex(
                   VALUES('Date'[Date]
                    )
                   ,Fact_Hours[SUM Hours]
                    )

However, if I remove the VALUES function, I end up with an error I mentioned in the title of this question

AverageX = Averagex(
                  'Date'[Date]
                    )
                   ,Fact_Hours[SUM Hours]
                    )

Date column in Date table has unique values already. Why is VALUES function needed? 

Also, for second argument to AVERAGEX, Measure works. But if I try to put a column that is already a part of model, it would not. Why would that be?

2 REPLIES 2
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @tvaishnav 

Iteration functions requires a table as first argument. VALUES is a function that creats a table contains the unique values in a column. You cannot refer the column directly. 
Iteration functions creat a filter context over the tablw under iteration. Only the columns that belongs to this table can be refrenced directly. Columns from related tables in the "one" side of the relationship can be referenced using RELATED function. The "many" side related table can be referenced using RELATEDTABLE functions which bring a set of rows from the "many" side table which are realted to the current row on the iteration. In this case an aggregation must be provided in order to evaluate any column from this related table. 
on the other hand CALCULATE function can be used to perform context transition in irder to evaluate columns from rekated tables. In this case aggregation shall be provided. Remember that any refrenced measure is automatically wrapped with CALCULATE. 
please let if you still have any doubts 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@tvaishnav Because you have an errant paren ). The second formula should be:

AverageX = Averagex(
                  'Date'[Date]
                   ,Fact_Hours[SUM Hours]
                    )

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.