Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kostask
Helper II
Helper II

Calculating dimension for missing dates

Hi, guys!

I came up with a problem that has to do with bank statements and the available totals per account per date.

I have a table (A) that describes the closing balance per account per date. When there is no transaction, the dates are missing (ex 3/7 for account A, or 4/7 for both accounts A and B ), so the closing balance has to be of the previous - latest day with record (ex 200 for 3/7 and 4/7 for account A)

1.PNG

The final outcome must be a graph that will show for both accounts (and separately) the available balance for all dates, including the missing ones (table b - cells in yellow backround)

2.PNG

I guess for sure we need a date-table, but after many things I tried,  I didn't manage to have the result

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thank You

Kostas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @kostask 
Please refer to sample file with the solution https://we.tl/t-qqmQwks0kv

1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png

Closing Balance = 
VAR CurrentDate = MAX ( 'Date'[Date] )
VAR CurrentValue = SELECTEDVALUE ( Sheet1[Value] )
VAR CurrentAcountTable = CALCULATETABLE ( Sheet1, ALLEXCEPT ( Sheet1, Sheet1[Account] ) )
VAR PreviousDatesTable = FILTER ( CurrentAcountTable, Sheet1[Date] < CurrentDate )
VAR PreviousDate = MAXX ( PreviousDatesTable, Sheet1[Date] )
VAR PreviousDateTable = FILTER ( PreviousDatesTable, Sheet1[Date] = PreviousDate )
VAR PreviousValue = MAXX ( PreviousDateTable, Sheet1[Value] )
RETURN
    COALESCE ( CurrentValue, PreviousValue )

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
kostask
Helper II
Helper II

Hi, @tamerj1 

The raw data on the final table have exactly the form you can see on the matrix (table A)

Thanx

Kostas

HI @kostask 
Please refer to sample file with the solution https://we.tl/t-qqmQwks0kv

1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png

Closing Balance = 
VAR CurrentDate = MAX ( 'Date'[Date] )
VAR CurrentValue = SELECTEDVALUE ( Sheet1[Value] )
VAR CurrentAcountTable = CALCULATETABLE ( Sheet1, ALLEXCEPT ( Sheet1, Sheet1[Account] ) )
VAR PreviousDatesTable = FILTER ( CurrentAcountTable, Sheet1[Date] < CurrentDate )
VAR PreviousDate = MAXX ( PreviousDatesTable, Sheet1[Date] )
VAR PreviousDateTable = FILTER ( PreviousDatesTable, Sheet1[Date] = PreviousDate )
VAR PreviousValue = MAXX ( PreviousDateTable, Sheet1[Value] )
RETURN
    COALESCE ( CurrentValue, PreviousValue )

Hi @tamerj1 

Really great work! Works fine

Thanks a lot!

Kostas

kostask
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @Greg_Deckler 

Totally agree with the "unpivoting"

As you can see in the table, my problem is that there are completely missing dates (ex 4/7/2022), for which I want to show results to the final outcome,  so I think  I can't work based on the dates of the main table (if i' m correct) (?)

Thanx a lot

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@kostask You could do a calculated column or measure where you check if the value is blank and if not grab the previous non-blank value. However, I would recommend that if your data looks as posted that you first un-pivot your account columns.

See my article on Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) which uses EARLIER: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Mean-Time-Between-Failure-MTBF-and-Power-BI/ba-p/3395....
The basic pattern is:
Column = 
  VAR __Current = [Value]
  VAR __PreviousDate = MAXX(FILTER('Table','Table'[Date] < EARLIER('Table'[Date])),[Date])

VAR __Previous = MAXX(FILTER('Table',[Date]=__PreviousDate),[Value])
RETURN
  __Current - __Previous

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @kostask 
How does the raw data look like? My Undestanding is that table A is a table or matrix visual. Can share the raw data of the same sample as copy/paste?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors