Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pdawar
Frequent Visitor

Calculate Sum and Filter with IF conditions

Hi,

I have a monthly trend table where I need to calculate the sum of patients with few filters and conditions applied. See the below measure - 

Patients_Adj =
var test = CALCULATE(SUM(Patients[Patients]),Patients[TYPE] = "Paid", Patients[PRODUCT_FK] = "Product A")
return
IF(MAX('Date'[Month])>=[max_Date],test,0)

This measure is giving correct output at row level, but totals are incorrect because this is doing the aggregation first and then applying the return condition. Is there a way I can re-write this measure so that conditions are applied first and then the sum aggregation happens. This is important because I need to calculate the cumulative number on top of this measure so that totals has to be accurate.

Pdawar_0-1702289802689.png

Below is the table that I am using - 

Pdawar_1-1702289894799.png

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Pdawar,

It sounds like a common multiple level aggregation calculate requirement in Dax. You can refer to the Greg’s blog to know how to handle this scenario: (SUMMARIZE function and iterator aggregation functions)

Measure Totals, The Final Word 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Pdawar
Frequent Visitor

I am not sure how to apply this because it involves applying the if condition as well. Also, the filter that we need to apply are from different tables as the data model is star schema. If we go ahead with this measure, how can we apply filter conditions from different tables and if conditions?

123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

Certainly! It looks like you want to calculate the sum of patients with specific filters and conditions, and you want these conditions to be applied before aggregation to get accurate totals. To achieve this, you can use the FILTER function along with SUMX instead of CALCULATE. Here's a modified version of your measure:

Patients_Adj =
SUMX (
FILTER (
Patients,
Patients[TYPE] = "Paid" &&
Patients[PRODUCT_FK] = "Product A" &&
'Date'[Month] >= [max_Date]
),
Patients[Patients]
)

This measure uses the FILTER function to create a table where the specified conditions are met, and then uses SUMX to iterate over that table and calculate the sum of patients. This way, the conditions are applied before the aggregation.

Make sure to replace [max_Date] with the appropriate reference to the maximum date you're comparing against. This measure should provide accurate totals because it applies the conditions at the row level before summing up the values.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.