Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Sabo256w
Frequent Visitor

Basic Filter Grouping Help

Hi All, 

I have a basic issue that I can't seem to figure out. 

I want to create "groups" of amounts: 0-100k, 100 - 500k etc, for my budgets. 

I have done this by creating a conditional column in Power Query with the following: 

if [Budgets] >= 0 and [Budgets] <= 100000
then "0 - 100k"

else if [Budgets] > 100000 and [Budgets] <= 500000
then "100k - 500k"

else if [Budgets] > 500000 and [Budgets] <= 1000000
then "500k - 1M"

else if [Budgets] > 1000000
then "1M Over"

else "null"

In Power Query it seems to be working fine: 

power query.JPG

My problem appears when I'm looking at these in a table, it's not taking into consideration the SUM of the categories, just the individual Budget amount, making it seem like it's incorrect. I have the filter "0-100k" selected but get values that are over 100k. (These individual sub-category budgets are actually under 100k, but when added for all the different locations, it's over 100k, how can I make my filter/column understand that)

over 100k.JPG

Any help would be great! 🙂 TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

your M code just classified categories row by row, this is not what you really wanted.

say, one sub-category's amount is 90k, then cost level will be 0-100k, if there are 100 rows of this sub-category, then the sum amount will be 9000k, but it always be cagegoried to 0-100k.

you can create a dimension table to define each cost level's up and low limited, say

cost level      min      max

0-100k            0          100

then create measure like:

NewMeasure=sumx(filter(values(table[sub-category]), var _amt=calculate(sum(facttable[amount])) return _amt>=max(dimcostleveltable[min])&&_amt<=max(dimcostleveltable[max])),calculate(sum(facttable[amount])))

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Washivale
Resolver V
Resolver V

Hi @Sabo256w , 

we are probably looking at Row Context here and trying to apply it on filter context.

try removing summarization from planned budget of your field from your visualization, if you are looking for applying filters on summarized data  you should probably create a measure in dax instead of Powerquery.

Washivale_0-1631522021631.png

visual you posted 

wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

your M code just classified categories row by row, this is not what you really wanted.

say, one sub-category's amount is 90k, then cost level will be 0-100k, if there are 100 rows of this sub-category, then the sum amount will be 9000k, but it always be cagegoried to 0-100k.

you can create a dimension table to define each cost level's up and low limited, say

cost level      min      max

0-100k            0          100

then create measure like:

NewMeasure=sumx(filter(values(table[sub-category]), var _amt=calculate(sum(facttable[amount])) return _amt>=max(dimcostleveltable[min])&&_amt<=max(dimcostleveltable[max])),calculate(sum(facttable[amount])))

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors