Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BW40
Helper I
Helper I

Is it possible to make a symbol map

Is there a way to make a symbol map and manually plot shapes' locations? I need a state map, with county lines and a shape to represent each department in each county (up to five shapes per county). Can BI make a symbol map? Also, preferably there would be a value I could assign to each shape and then filter by the value.

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Yes, that is what the Shape Map visual does.  You can provide your own polygons in topojson format.  Use Mapshaper.com or equivalent to prepare your data.

Do you happen to have a link to a video or instructions for that? With the shape map I can get a solid colored state but cannot add details. In the ArcGIS maps, I can build a state county map but I cannot not overlay symbols on it (although it is the closest to what I need, if I could just overlap symbols on it), and the icon map gives me a general road map of the state without county lines and it combines my groups rather than letting me create a symbol per county and will not let me actually add shapes. This has been straightforward in other programs but either the capability is hidden for PowerBI or it has not caught up yet. 
Shape map: 

BW40_0-1675095867539.png

Icon map:

BW40_1-1675095901655.png

ArcGIS:

BW40_2-1675095919156.png

When you used MapShaper you probably stripped out the polygon attributes. You need those to connect the shapes to your Power BI data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.