Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

UNICODE
Frequent Visitor

Embedding a Power BI report inside a Power Bi report

I am trying to embed a Power Bi report inside another report.   
I had the wonderful Idea that I could use the  HTML Content custom visual (@dm-p) to allow this to happen. 

HTML Content - Custom Visual for Power BI (html-content.com)

I am using a BI RS server and I can embed can get reports to embed into share point and html files buy using a <iframe src=https...?rs:embed=true> reference.  Using this same reference in a measure and adding it to the HTML Content visual will not allow me to view the linked report in either the RS Desktop app or when its published to the RS server.  

I'm not understanding why this isn't working, the top level report loads but the linked report justs becomes the circle of spinning dots.  Is this a limitation inside of BI, or a security setting that needs to change on the RS server? 

Linked report 1.jpgLinked report 2.jpg

Thanks for any help 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @UNICODE,

Custom visuals themselves are hosted as an iframe, which is sandboxed to have minimum privileges, in order to preserve safety and security as much as possible for end users. As such, these iframes don't have the necessary permissions to handle requirements like cookies and endpoint security to embed an application that will require authentication, like Power BI itself. Any iframes you host inside a custom visual inherit these restrictions irrespective of how you configure their sandbox attributes yourself (if you might think of that next). Using a custom visual (whether it be HTML Content or developing your own would not be a viable solution for this use case, unfortunately.

At best, all you could do would be to link or drill through another report using native Power BI functionality. 

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @UNICODE,

Custom visuals themselves are hosted as an iframe, which is sandboxed to have minimum privileges, in order to preserve safety and security as much as possible for end users. As such, these iframes don't have the necessary permissions to handle requirements like cookies and endpoint security to embed an application that will require authentication, like Power BI itself. Any iframes you host inside a custom visual inherit these restrictions irrespective of how you configure their sandbox attributes yourself (if you might think of that next). Using a custom visual (whether it be HTML Content or developing your own would not be a viable solution for this use case, unfortunately.

At best, all you could do would be to link or drill through another report using native Power BI functionality. 

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors