Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iglesias6
Helper II
Helper II

On-Premises data gateway problem: Re-Install every time it closes

Hey guys! How are you?

I am facing some issues using my On-Premises Data Gateway. I have configured it and works fine, but everytime I close it, I need to install the gateway again in order to be working fine.

For example, if I reboot my computer or I turn it off and on, I must unninstall the gateway and then install it again (configuring it with the same account). If I do not unninstall it and re-install it, my power bi refreshes fail saying: "Gateway Unreacheable". 

Is there a way to solve this without unninstalling and installing it again everytime I turn on my pc?

11 REPLIES 11
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @iglesias6 

Thanks for the solutions @Zoyashah  and @Greg_Deckler  provided, you can check the problems from the gateway log. you can refer to the following link.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-app#on-premises-data-gate...

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-tshoot#troubleshooting-to...

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Zoyashah

Resolve the recurring issue of the on-premises data gateway requiring reinstallation each time it closes. Troubleshoot by examining system logs, verifying installation integrity, and exploring compatibility with other applications. Implementing robust solutions ensures seamless data connectivity and prevents interruptions in your workflow. Document your troubleshooting steps and solutions with branded pens, facilitating efficient resolution of on-premises data gateway problems while maintaining organized records for future reference.

iglesias6
Helper II
Helper II

I am sorry. Now I have reboot my laptop and when I open the gateway I get this first:

iglesias6_0-1711372842793.png

2. Then this:

iglesias6_1-1711372869837.png

3. And when I retry:

iglesias6_2-1711372928878.png

The full error for the "Gateway service health check failed." is:

Below is the stack trace:
Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClientException: Error getting Gateway service health data.
Exception message: Could not connect to net.tcp://127.0.0.1:45375/powerbi/gatewayconfiguration/service. The connection attempt lasted for a time span of 00:00:02.0235257. TCP error code 10061: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:45375. ---> System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: Could not connect to net.tcp://127.0.0.1:45375/powerbi/gatewayconfiguration/service. The connection attempt lasted for a time span of 00:00:02.0235257. TCP error code 10061: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:45375. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:45375
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(EndPoint remoteEP)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SocketConnectionInitiator.Connect(Uri uri, TimeSpan timeout)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SocketConnectionInitiator.Connect(Uri uri, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.BufferedConnectionInitiator.Connect(Uri uri, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionPoolHelper.EstablishConnection(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.CallOpenOnce.System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ICallOnce.Call(ServiceChannel channel, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.CallOnceManager.CallOnce(TimeSpan timeout, CallOnceManager cascade)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.EnsureOpened(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.ConfigurationContracts.IGatewayConfigurationService.GetServiceHealth()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.GetServiceHealth()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.GetServiceHealth()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.Checks.GatewayServiceCheck.RunCheck()

Im sorry, this is the reason why I have to unninstall and install everyday. Do you know how to solve this?

@iglesias6 OK, you are running the standard version of the gateway then that installs as a service. In that case, open up Services and scroll down to "On-premises data gateway service". Make sure that it is set to a Startup Type of Automatic and the logon should be set to NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes! I have it like this already:

iglesias6_0-1711380150715.png

@iglesias6 OK, with your confirmation that the service is running, do you still get the error when opening the gateway app? If so, you are going to need to export the logs and potentially engage support as to what is going on. Troubleshoot the on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Learn

Latest book!:

Sorry. When I reboot my computer it is not running at the beginning.

But if a go to properties and put it again, it works. Real odd this thing.

I will share with more detail now:

1. Not running:

iglesias6_0-1711391556240.png

2. Go to properties:

iglesias6_1-1711391606613.png

3. I change the setting once:

iglesias6_2-1711391637091.png

4. I change the setting back as it was before:

iglesias6_3-1711391683482.png

Now that the Apply button is enabled, I click it, run it and finally it works.

Do you know what may be the error that is causing me to run it manually in services?

@iglesias6 Only thing I can think of is that maybe it is trying to start before your laptop is fully on the network? Perhaps try going to the Recovery page and setting the second failure and third failure to "Restart the Service". Or the Restart service after to something like 5 or 10 minutes.

Latest book!:

I forgot to show this error when I turn on my pc:

iglesias6_0-1711451291601.png

I get this error. 

Then, I go to properties, inside the log page, change from "This account" to "Log On" and back to "This account". Finally hit the "Apply" button as I have shown before and it starts working. 

If someone has any idea of what is going on here, please let me know!

I believe that my credentials are being updated each time I turn on my PC. 

With that in mind, for some reason I am not getting, the Log On property keeps the old credentials, so when I do those changes, it refreshes the credentials and it works.

Is there a way to aumatically refresh those credentials in the Log On property? 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@iglesias6 Sounds like you are running personal mode perhaps. You don't need to uninstall and reinstall. You simply need to search for and run the "on-premises data gateway" app and login.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors