Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sellersmd
Frequent Visitor

REST API pagination with a "nextToken" - how to iterate through pages

Hello,

I am an beginner/intermediate-level Power User, and am new to accessing APIs through Power Query. I am feeling pretty confident today - I have successfully fetched the bearer token for my API and made several successful API calls for various data. I am stuck on the next part of the puzzle.

The API I am accessing limits results to 100 per page, so I will need to fetch multiple pages of results and then merge them together into a single query. The tricky part is that *if* there is a next page, the API returns a token called "nextToken" to indicate that there is a next page, and that token must be fed back to the API in order to fetch the next page. Hence, there is no way of knowing how many pages of results, you just have to wait until a response without a "nextToken" is received.

I would like to build something akin to a While() loop in other programming languages that works as follows:

nextTokenExists = FALSE

(fetch first page of results - got this done already)

check for nextToken

While (nextToken = TRUE):

fetch next page of results using nextToken value

merge these results to first page of results

check for nextToken again and update value

Ultimately this loop should end when the "nextToken" is not found in the API response, and I would like to end up with a single query that is a merger of all of the results from within the loop.

I don't have a clue where to get started on this in Power Query, and I don't think the sample data is really relevant, but the API documentation in question for the data I am fetching can be found here: https://spytec.readme.io/reference/get-alerts 

Please let me know if more information is needed. Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
RicardoAGdSilva
Frequent Visitor

Anyone got an idea on this issue? I got the same problem

ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

This article has an example you can likely adapt (the datalist step of the 2nd approach).

Updated – Get SharePoint List Data … Fast – Hoosier BI

Pat

Microsoft Employee
RanjeetK
Helper I
Helper I

I have also same issue , i can get 100 records only and for next 100 i need to use NextToken from first result please help us

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors