Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MaryamSe
Frequent Visitor

using PBI as data storage/Data repository

Hi, 

My team is using SAS as datastorage. However, the licnces will not be renewed. I suggetsed to use PBI as a data strorage because 1) we do not have a quick solution to replace SAS  2) The amount of data for the last five years is around 300,000. so, not that large 4) PBI can handle all other things like appending all data, cealning and manupulation 5) all the alaysts will be able to connet to one sourec and create their reports 

my plan is to have the pbi in the worksspace that is availabe to anyone and connected to the execl sheets. ( btw, the data gets updated only twice a year)

I am not sure what is the best approch?

1) Should I create a sementice model that includes only the data and then uplaoded to the work space?  I do not think it is the best because then the sementic model should be on someone's computer 

2) Should I created Data flow? 

3) any other options ?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @MaryamSe 

For what you are suggesting I would suggest using Power BI desktop to consume the data.

The configure the semantic model with Incremental Refresh, here is how to do this:Incremental refresh for semantic models and real-time data in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

And then upload and refresh the semantic model in the Power BI Service and then the users can connect via Excel.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @MaryamSe 

For what you are suggesting I would suggest using Power BI desktop to consume the data.

The configure the semantic model with Incremental Refresh, here is how to do this:Incremental refresh for semantic models and real-time data in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

And then upload and refresh the semantic model in the Power BI Service and then the users can connect via Excel.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi, Thank you very much Gilbert. 

May I ask whay do you suggest PBI desktop. My concern is using PBI desktop needs to be on someone computer. I would prefer having a model that is shared on the workspace. 

Data are on several execl sheets ( more than one single source of data - I may need to appned them). The updated data include the new and updatde (overwriten) ones. But, It seems that incremental refersh requires using only one source of data.

Thanks again for your help

From the source you shared "When you configure incremental refresh and real-time data by using Power BI Desktop, or configure an advanced solution by using Tabular Model Scripting Language (TMSL) or Tabular Object Model (TOM) through the XMLA endpoint, all partitions, whether import or DirectQuery, must query data from a single source."  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors