Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Chas2002
Helper III
Helper III

"Pushed" datset on dashboard isn't refreshing

Hi,

Created a streaming dataset and am pushing data from a database via powershell.  It works (sort of)...

1. I have history turned on for the streaming dataset,

2. Dataset is set as Hybrid,

3. No filters, only a sort on Date/Time,

2. I'm pushing data...can see it in the verbose of powershell and when I check in the power bi report section..

However the dashboard never refreshes unless I refresh the page?  Once I refresh the page, the underlying data appears.

I've tried Pin Live Page and just the normal Pin.

???????

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Charles,

Please refer to this documentation. Please also check out the limitations. 

>>>Pinning an entire report using the pin live page option will not result in the data automatically being updated.

Another possibility is the size of tile is too small. As we can see from the tile, it refreshed just now.

Pushed_datset_on_dashboard_isn_t_refreshing

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

After much trial and error, I found the issue and is one that can be easily replicated.

My data is displayed in a simple table and I was certain data was being pushed because as soon as I refreshed the url, the data is there...

So I backtracked:

1. Created a streaming dataset with Date and a Code_Timer,

2. Created a powershell to push today's date, and add 10 seconds every loop -- pushed this to the dataset above,

3. Created a simple table report, pinned the report to an empty dashboard.

The dashboard will beging to load (as expected) but once the 'real-estate' (meaning the size of the table visual on the dashboard) is full, it will NEVER, EVER refresh even though the data is still being pushed.  The table on the dashboard doesn't know that the data has gone beyound the visualization contraints.  I assume this has something to do with the FIFO setting of real-time streaming data?

Second, I thought of 'sorting' -- so I placed the data in a local sqlite table, grabbed it as a payload in asc and desc order, pushed it to the dataset -- same thing: the dataset updates, but once it's beyound the 'real-estate' of the visual, it will not refresh regardless if the data sort is coming in sorted or if you sort the data via the 'sort' on the table report.

My only option is to write the powershell so that it deletes the rows, then pushes the data.

Of course, in my setup, all I'm pushing are a few text items -- would love to use a tile with true streaming but I can't because MS won't let me show Text in a tile? 

So, it's working - kind of - have this horrible flashing going on everytime I delete the rows and push in the new data.  Starting to wonder if I've made a mistake going with Power BI on this build.

Chas

Hi @Chas2002 , I am having the same issue with my report that uses pushed (hybrid) dataset. I am also looking for way to use PowerShell to programmatically delete the rows of the dataset before refreshing for new data. I noticed that you were able to do it. Do you mind sharing what command you wrote to do that? Thank you very much!

Having a similar problem with a twitter sentiment tracker.... the push dataset automatically refreshes numbers but not text comments....so frustrating!

Chas2002
Helper III
Helper III

So, I went back through all my code, the powershell, the dataset, the reports just to make sure I'm not losing my mind.

They're all good.

I can see the dashboard flash each time there is a data push, but the pinned item based on the streaming hybrid will not update unless I refresh the web browser.  I'm at a lost as to what is going on...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors