Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

trubeko
Regular Visitor

"Cannot load model" error when using Data Gateway to access Azure Database for PostgreSQL

Hello,

I'm attempting to create a Power BI report based on the data we have in an Azure Database for PostgreSQL. I've created a report with success and published it to the Power BI service and deployed a Data Gateway. However I have an error when trying to display the report in Power BI service online. When I open the report - an error message appears saying it "Cannot load model".

What is configured:

A PostgreSQL DB in Azure (Azure Database for PostgreSQL) is in place. I've deployed a Data Gateway to an Azure VM that is located in the Virtual Network with an access to the DB. The Data Gateway is configured in Power BI service and according data source is mapped to the gateway. Data source has exact same configuration as the one used in the Power BI desktop when creating a report. Gateway appears "Online" in the "Manage Gateways" screen, and a data source has a "Connection Successful!" note next to its name. A Gateway Connection is mapped to the data source in the dataset settings and is displayed in green color.

Here are the error details:

Cannot load model
Couldn't load the model schema associated with this report. Make sure you have a connection to the server, and try again.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity ID: 241550af-179a-4cb8-90e7-47060b1bef58
Request ID: 1db24240-c3b5-2320-90b0-2f574bf155ad
Correlation ID: 1935c6d4-3510-c63c-53bd-c47982fb980a
Time: Thu Sep 05 2019 14:58:31 GMT+0200 (Central European Summer Time)
Version: 13.0.10599.151
Cluster URI: https://wabi-france-central-a-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net

P.S. It is extremely regrettable that there is no debug information at all displayed with this error. A simple error message from an underlying service might have helped in understanding the problem.

3 REPLIES 3
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @trubeko ,

If your dataset not only contains Azure Database for PostgreSQL but also the on premise data source, then note that you may need to select Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster option Under Gateway Cluster Settings. See: Merge or append on-premises and cloud data sources.

4.png

Or try to upgrade the gateway to latest version.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

Thank you for these suggestions. I've activated this option, but the error is still reproduced. As of the Data Gateway version - I've just downloaded and installed it yesterday, so it is the most recent one as of now (Version 3000.8.452, AUgust 2019).

Thank you,

Timur

An update: I've tried to create a new report in Power BI Desktop using a "Power BI Dateset" as a source in the "Get Data" screen. It didn't work either, but Power BI Desktop showed more details about the error. The error message is: "DirectQuery may not be used with this data source".

Does it mean that there is no way to confogure Data Gateway to use DirectQueries with "Azure database for PostgreSQL"? It works in PowerBI Desktop, why won't it work via Data Gateway?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors