Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

powerbi embedded + live connection + shared dataset

Hi guys,

We recently bought embedded capacity. Its works ok but it seems API is returning we are using trial %.

I explain how our workspaces are organized, i think the issue is probably related with this.

We got 2 workspaces:

• Workspace1: Business workspaces with datasets and reports.
    • DS_business: Its a dataset that business users use everydate to design reports.
    • Many reports with live connection to DS_business among other.
  • Workspace2: PowerBI embedded with capacity assiged.
    • Report_embedded: using live connection to DS_business

On one hand, I am suspecting since Report_embedded is using a live connection to a dataset in another workspaces with no capacity it not using capacity.

On the other hand our requirements:

• Since in "Workspace1" there are many datasets we don't want to assign this workspace to a capacity. We just want to process queries, sent from "Report_embedded", in embedded capacity.
  • We want DS_business to be shared between business users and embedded without moving DS_business to Workspace1. It would be very disrupting telling some users to use DS_business in workspace1 (which in production is called POWERBI_EMBEDDED) instead of their usual workspace2 (called by their department in production)

5 REPLIES 5
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@Anonymous ,

I'm not quite sure I understand your needs? Is it the version of Power BI embedded shows as trial that you purchased? Please confirm whether the license is Power BI embedded or you accidentally switched to Power BI Premium Per user.
Also, please provide more information about the issue so that we can help better.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

we bought and assigned embedded capacity to "workspace1" the trial usage can be view using API. This page let you play with API

https://docs.microsoft.com/es-es/rest/api/power-bi/availablefeatures/getavailablefeatures?source=doc...

here i can see the trial usage

image.png

Hi@Anonymous,

We notice that you have not put workspace1 into the Embedded capacity, which is still a normal Workspace. if you embed a report in workspace1, there will be a limit to generate Embedded Token. 

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, we knew that. Thats why i pasted that screen but my question was all about how i should distribute datasets and reports in order to be use for both internal and external users.

I talked to a microsoft guys and he gave 2 options which i dont like at all but "thats what there are currently":

1. Replicate DS_business in workspace1 and workspace2. I dont like this option because simply concept of code reuse, having to refresh twice the same information etc..
  2. Take all to one workspace. We dont neigther like because internal user reports would be using embedded capacity which was bought exclusively for external users.

Finally we took option 1 which i dont like it but we can at least split the processing between internal and external users.

Anonymous
Not applicable

bump it

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors